Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layer compression

Hello -
    When I first scan an image as a tiff, I open it in Photoshop and then when I go to save it, a Tiff Options dialog box pops up. I'm given three choices of image compression and layer compression:

Image Compression:
    None *default
    LZW
    ZIP
    JPEG

Layer Compression:
    RLE (faster saves, bigger files) *default
    ZIP (slower saves, smaller files)
    Discard Layers and Save Copy

Reading especially about layer compression, I'm a bit confused. Do I stay with the defaults or would other options be better choices?

Thanks for any help and guidance!

- Jeff
    Attached Files

Re: Layer compression

It really depends on what application your TIFF is going to be read by.

For maximumum compatibility no compression is the safe bet due to the fact that older applications may have trouble reading TIFF (hopefully rare)

LZW it is possible that you could end up with a file larger than the original!

For the smallest files ZIP is the better choice for image compression and will always (nearly?) result in a reduced file size.

Layer Compression:

As long as your applications for reading TIFF support it ZIP again should be a better choice for a smaller file

Comment

http://digitaldog.net/files/TIFFvsPSD.pdf

Comment

Thanks Tony and Andrew. Definitely will have a look at that linked article. I'm trying to set this up so that the final result will always be the best possible outcome. It seems to be as much prep as process.

Every day is a school day!

Thanks again!

- Jeff

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• bestremera
          JPG or TIFF for retouching
          by bestremera
          Need some guidance on files,

My image acquisition is through a Canon A630 that produces 'Fine' jpgs of approx. 2.4 megs. The same file, saved as a tiff, is 22megs.

My manipulations tend to be a variety of simple image adjustment layers, color retouching and conversion...
          01-24-2007, 07:49 PM
        • creeduk
          jpg lossy format, I have a question.
          by creeduk
          I was lead to accept that if you saved the jpg at the same setting (which PS usually defaults to the jpegs quality setting) then the loss would be at the most negligible and should not lose anything. I personally always have either tif or psd of any edits so that is not a worry but I decided I would...
          01-05-2006, 10:22 AM
        • Keith Trigwell
          Batch Automation. Multiple files from same PSD.
          by Keith Trigwell
          Hi, first off. Thanks to anyone who reads this and double thanks to those who reply....... I've been on this mission for about 4 days and 'm getting a few things sorted...

This is the scenario....

I take a shot or two (RAW)... (or 500), injest via bridge and rate and...
          04-13-2009, 08:03 AM
        • bkravchenko
          Cut and Save as Multiple Files
          by bkravchenko
          I have a task... I need to take scanned in negatives that have 6 frames per file, cut each of the 6 frames and save it as its own jpeg.

Is there a way to make a 6 selections and automatically save all selections as 6 separate files? I am on CS4.

Thanks for the help.
          02-04-2009, 12:15 PM
        • rlualhati
          File Management/Different Image Sizes
          by rlualhati
          Hello All,

I was wondering how everyone else handles file management and different image crops/sizes.

Do you have a separate files for each crop/size?

I currently have one file for 5x7 and 8x10 crops....but now I need to go to 11x14 and beyond. I worked...
          01-29-2012, 08:48 AM
        Working...
        X