Help with scanning photo with shiny areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with scanning photo with shiny areas

I am attempting to scan a photo which has irregular shiny areas on the surface. The photo appears normal to the eye when viewed from certain angles, but the trouble areas appear when the photo is scanned or viewed obliquely.

The attached scan shows the result: the dark areas in particular show a mottling.

Any helpful ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Try scanning at various angles, then combining the best of each. You can also try making a photograph of it instead, if you have a digital camera of decent resolution.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• jim.orrell
      1940 B&W photo, dark detail will not scan
      by jim.orrell
      I've done lots of basic photo touching up with photoshop. I'm no professional; my "technique" is scan high, fix what I can without spending too much time. But this time I am really stumped.

I have a large wedding photo of my parents. 1940, black and white, been on show behind...
      07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
    • Dlbp422
      Scanning damaged photo
      by Dlbp422
      I have recently come across a photo that is very special to me, I thought I lost it in our house fire five years ago. It has smoke and soot damage and I would like to scan it before I take it anywhere to have it proffesionally cleaned or restored in case something happens to it there. I read somewhere...
      06-01-2008, 02:45 AM
    • Joe Townsend
      Scanning a Convex, Oval Photo
      by Joe Townsend
      Problem is to create a digital image so that one of those antique convex, oval portrait photos can be restored. See example in the attachment (not the photo in question).

I have done these when already out of the frame and fattened, but I do not want to risk damaging the customer's photo...
      06-02-2007, 11:50 PM
    • fut
      Scan or Photo ??
      by fut
      Got a quick question, is it better to scan an old phot or to use a Digital Camera and take another shot of the original (using correct lighting).

I have a scanner but I'm getting loads of imperfections on the scanned image, more than are actually on the photograph itself.
      I've...
      05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
    • Flora
      Easy Scanning
      by Flora
      Troubled about scanning a photo for manipulation and printing? ... Read on... [details]
      07-07-2008, 04:54 AM
    Working...
    X