stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid question

OK, this may seem stupid but is there really an easier way to memorize what all the layer blending modes do to your image or layers? If i say correctly there are almost 20+ blending options from color dodge, burn, overlay, screen etc. because its hard up to now i still cant memorize it, i have to go and try it one by one. Is there?

Well, they're grouped by type in PS7, so all the contrast modifiers are together, all the ones that will darken are together, etc.

But I usually just use the up/down arrows real fast, not even looking at what the name is
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Doug Nelson writes:
      But I usually just use the up/down arrows real fast, not even looking at what the name is

I only stumbled across that particular idea a few weeks ago on my own, and wondered why I had never read it before. Is it common knowledge? If so, I can stop feeling guilty for not sharing it with the group immediately. I find it particularly useful when doing some kind of art/painting work, looking for a wonderful, unexpected effect. Bob

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Hugo Leveille
        Dodge and Burn
        by Hugo Leveille
        Hi everyone

I'd like to know if there is a difference between normal dodge and burn and creating a 50% grey layer overlay.

Cause i'm looking for tips on dodging and burning on color pictures. In b&w, its easy, but in color, you can make a mess really quickly !
        02-06-2004, 01:25 PM
      • camiloacosta
        What is the "must-have" retouching knowledge?
        by camiloacosta
        Hey guys,

So, as we're all aware, there are a million tutorials out there on the internet regarding tools and methods to use to retouch, but what are the principles that one ought to know to really become great at this?

Color theory comes to mind, what else? Body anatomy?...
        04-26-2015, 11:25 PM
      • crazyfly1
        The dodge and burn facial- a better way?
        by crazyfly1
        I looked for a video about this and this thread:

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=272

was the best Icould come up with. Nothing as far as I could find in VTC or Lynda, or How to Wow, or Total Training.

I get it though. dodge and burn on seperate...
        11-05-2007, 12:08 AM
      • cricket1961
        Dodge and Burn Confusion
        by cricket1961
        D+B works with shading not texture. There is a big difference. Yes it can work with texture, but I think that one of the reasons that people are confused with the way the technique works is because of the definition given.

D+B, or softlight retouching is used to preserve texture in ways...
        12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
      • Ken Burns
        Worthless Tidbit I Discovered
        by Ken Burns
        Over the holidays I had quite a bit of free time, so I spent some of it playing around in PS. I played with funky combinations of things like layer blending modes and oddball curve adjustments. Most of these things turned out to be nothing more than weird color/contrast effects, but I did find one interesting...
        01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
      Working...
      X