No announcement yet.

Damaged Photo restoration Help

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Pete Donegan
    More Authentic Photo Restoration
    by Pete Donegan
    Hi everybody! It's ages since I posted but I've just started on a job of restoration and I thought I would like to run some ideas past the experts on Retouch PRO to see what you think. I've been doing photo restoration for quite a few years now, but something has got me thinking. We use tools like the...
    11-24-2014, 05:02 PM
  • billr
    Photo with cracks and other damage
    by billr
    Hello. This is my first post. I don't know where to begin with this photo (or what can be achieved). I've had some success with CS5 healing and cloning tools starting with better originals, but I'm essentially a newbie and this photo is a real challenge for me. The original is a 3" square B&W...
    05-05-2011, 10:43 AM
  • Gabriel Pinto
    My 2nd restoration thread
    by Gabriel Pinto
    Hi again everyone.

Now I have my second photo restoration to do. It's a portrait of my 1st restoration subject's wife (here)
    Both these were taken in 1946.

What I kindly ask you is that you guide me trough this restoration in a step by step basis. I don't want you...
    07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
  • Doug Nelson
    Healing Brush
    by Doug Nelson
    We're starting to see Challenge entries that mention the PS7 healing brush. For those that have it, what are your initial opinions?

No one has mentioned the patch tool, yet.
    04-24-2002, 03:14 PM
  • Vikki
    As I See It
    by Vikki
    I started this thread after thinking about the "critique" discussion. I thought maybe, instead of individual critiques, I would start a thread for "overall" critique discussion.

I just want to add, that for some reason, I am compelled to voice my opinion. So, I hope...
    10-16-2001, 11:03 AM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoReam
    replied
    Wow Antauri just seen the restoration you have posted - well done! (I have just logged in so had not seen your restoration till now) .

Leave a comment:

• lillyann
    replied
    Hi friend. I will try to solve your problem as soon as possible.

Leave a comment:

• C14
    replied
    Thanks. I'll try it out after I'll finish the video recovery on my pc. After mistakenly formatting this hard drive, I am really worried that I could make thing worse. But, fortunately, after reading your answer, I have tried your mentioned data recovery freeware and restore back all my wanted files back!

Leave a comment:

• RetouchS1234
    replied
    Post your email for higher res

Leave a comment:

• RetouchS1234
    replied
    Working on it!

Leave a comment:

• JoReam
    replied
    Hi Antauri
    Welcome to RetouchPro. Not sure what photo editing program you are using - you will need access to either something like GIMP or photoshop to carry out this restoration. The main areas of damage on this photo are the spotting, folds, lost surface information and missing corners. Photoshop and GIMP have tools like the healing brush, spot healing brush and clone stamp tool which you will need to use - ideally on a separate layer to hide/remove the damage. Its just a case of selecting clean areas and using those to cover the damaged ones either with the healing or clone stamp brushes. The spot healing brush does this automatically but is designed more for spots - just experiment hence why it is always a good idea to work on a separate layer and also in a new file so you do not damage your original. Sometimes the dust and scratches filter at a tiny level may help - say a couple of pixels may save you time - but it you choose a too larger pixel size with this tool you will make more work than save time. The other tools you will want to use are the content aware fill, content aware patch tools for the larger areas of damage and missing areas on the corners of the image... it will be a case of trailing different tools to see which works best for your purposes (not sure which of these fill tools are available in GIMP as I use photoshop). Globally you may want to make some levels adjustments and find the black and white points to improve contrast and then sharpen the image. There is no getting around it you will need to spend time to fix this image. Hope that helps. Have a look at the RetouchPro Live videos on YouTube - Doug hasn't loaded the videos on restoration yet but quite a few of the beauty retouching videos eg Chris Tarantino, show the use the clone stamp and healing tools as part of the retouching process.
    Last edited by JoReam; 10-23-2018, 09:41 PM. Reason: For clarity and spelling

Leave a comment:

• antauri
    started a topic Damaged Photo restoration Help

Damaged Photo restoration Help

Hello guys,
    Good day all. I dont know anything about photo editing much more of restoration. But I am in dire need for a photo restoration of an old photo of my grandfather's. The photo is all we have as visual memory of him and his family. below is the link for the photo, and that is the most resolution as it can get.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zTy...ew?usp=sharing

I really appreciate if someone could help me.

Thanks
Working...
X