Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to photo restoration and am stuck

Hi

I've just joined this forum as I'm currently researching my family tree and have found some really nice old photo but they are damaged. I have learnt a lot already to restore images, but a lot of my old images have the same very grainy damage (sorry I don't know what its called)

I would really love some help and advice on what it is and how I can remove repair it. Attached is an example. Its the hair on the right that is damaged. I have this on lots of images

Thank you

Jason
    Example damage.jpg
    Attached Files

This can either be removed by reducing the blue / cyans saturation or converting the whole image to black and white they were only ever black and white to start with! Sepia only came about as part of ageing (info on that here https://www.image-restore.co.uk/blog...ite-or-colour/) and you can then add a tint back after if that makes it easier, info on adding tints here https://www.image-restore.co.uk/blog...hoto-to-sepia/ I hope this helps?

Comment

Try getting the "good" hair on the left and transfer them to the right curl by curl and adjusting them to fit the damaged hair.
      Attached Files

Comment

The condition is called "silvering". A search of this forum will most likely result in more information about it than you want!

Comment

Thank you so much for replying. I have done some research and am now very happy with the end results. I just wasn't sure what it was called. Thank you all for helping me out. Really appreciate it

Cheers

Jase

Comment

It's the old pic.And so looking beautiful

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• dataflow
              old family photo (aunti)
              by dataflow
              hi
              im new to the forum and you could say im new to retouching but iv been playing around with retouching for a few years.

here is an image i retouched/restored for a family member

i would like to hear what you think.
              you can post good or bad Critiques (not to bad...
              02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
            • jeremy1986
              Advice on my project for Operation photo Rescue
              by jeremy1986
              I recently got my first project from Operation Photo Rescue, It coming along pretty decent but i am having a problem with the left side of the photo. I've had to basically rebuild the the left side and my problem is creating the light source because as i can tell, it is from that direction. I'm using...
              07-01-2011, 07:48 PM
            • swansod
              Hair Stain and Cloth Advice?
              by swansod
              Hi All,

My first photo restore. I'm almost finished.

The hair has a stain creating a darker tone. Could anyone suggest a non destructive way to fix this?

Her jacket/white material could use help. Anyone know of a non destructive way to fix the cloth? ...
              08-26-2008, 05:34 AM
            • R9jackson
              Restoration philosophy
              by R9jackson
              I'm fairly new to restoration and have a few clients that are happy with my work. I have usually been finishing the restorations in a sepia or antique style. My question is, what is the standard: try to restore the photo to it's original look, or finish it as though it is an older photograph with clean...
              11-28-2010, 05:56 PM
            • owenferguson
              Is this salvageable?
              by owenferguson
              Hi,

My mum has asked me if this photo of her and her sisters from the 50s can be restored. It's quite badly scratched and I don't know if it's too damaged to be helped.

I'm relatively inexperienced using photoshop and while I can use the clone stamp and noise filters, I'm...
              05-03-2007, 03:10 AM
            Working...
            X