No announcement yet.

Paper photo restoration

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ed_L
    Custom Print source?
    by Ed_L
    My daughter came home from work with an old photo. It's a picture of her friend's father, and it was made in 1943. Here's the problem: It is 10 X 16 inches, it's printed on a paper that kind of resembles canvas, it's mounted on thin but durable cardboard type stock, and the image is rounded at the top....
    08-18-2002, 07:42 PM
  • Joe Kelly
    1940s studio photo glued to mat
    by Joe Kelly
    I have a lovely BW photo of my mother's family, taken by a studio. the print appears to be glued to the mat board/paper on which it is mounted. I've already scanned it, but want to get the original off the paper and into an archive sleeve.
    What's my best move?
    Thanks!
    02-16-2008, 11:28 AM
  • gldndog
    Old photo in a bowed frame??
    by gldndog
    Can anyone give me an idea how to capture or scan if possible an old photo that is in a bowed frame? Thanks
    10-15-2005, 03:03 PM
  • Fazools
    Sex Lube and Old Photographs!!
    by Fazools
    Ok. This is not a tutorial as much as it is a chance for you to see what happens when you get creative and are able to sacrifice your original photo.

I found this photo of my grandfather with a girl he had met in the war in Italy, I am almost sure that the pic is a Calotype based on...
    04-29-2006, 12:29 AM
  • imago
    damaged photo still in frame
    by imago
    I have some large sepia tone photos for retouching that are still in their frames. I am not sure how to proceed.

There appears to be some sort of watter damage in some areas. It is a darkenning under the glass and other areas of splotchy darkenning. I am not sure if I should try to...
    09-05-2001, 06:38 AM
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lithicacid326
    started a topic Paper photo restoration

Paper photo restoration

Hi all,

Could I get some advice on how best to repair this old printed photo? It ripped and I had to glue the front on but as you can see in the picture it is torn and will continue to weather away since it is a rough edge. Is there some sort of plastic that can cover it? Something better than scotch tape? Lamination?
    Attached Files

• Doug Nelson
    replied
    It needs to be cut out and reframed, ideally behind a mat and UV glass. A frame store could do it if you'd rather not bother.

However, I'd recommend carefully removing the frame (that newsprint and wood is slowly destroying it), making a good quality scan, and putting the original in an acid-free envelope (larger art supply stores should have it). Then restore it digitally and make a good print for display.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X