Photo restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo restore

Hi Im new to restoring photos, im using adobe photoshop. I have a few old photos with damage and noise iv been able to edit and retouch. I have this photo of my mum and nan. Is there anything I can do to make the colours better and to make out details including the faces better. I have tried a few things but have been unsuccessful. Thanks Lee.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Color Cast in old photos is a fairly simple fix, but there are several approaches that depend on the kind of color cast and other things like contrast.

A simple first method might be to:
    1) Duplicate the background layer (cntrl/cmd+j)
    2) Set the new layer Mode to Color
    3) Go to Filter>Blur>Average
    4) Invert the color (cntrl/cmd+i)
    5) Reduce the layer Opacity to about 50% (or to taste)

Another method is to:
    1) Duplicate the background layer (cntrl/cmd+j)
    2) Go to Filter>Camera Raw
    3) In the BASIC panel, Click the little eye-dropper next to the White Balance pop-up then click somewhere in the walkway of the photo.
    If the results are a little off, try different areas of the walkway to get closer to the right colors. Also, reduce the Saturation or Vibrance slider.

There are other methods that can be used as well, but they can be a bit more complicated. This should get you started.
    Regarding the facial details, create a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer, reduce the contrast and brighten the image slightly, then invert the mask (cmd+i) and paint with a soft-white brush where you want to lighten the faces.

Hope this helps.
    ~Klaatu

Comment

Great, thanks for the advice il give both methods a go and see how they turn out

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• dario
        How to get uniform colors in old comics.... ?
        by dario
        Hi all

As a personal hobby sometimes I try to digitally restore some of my old comic books (I have asked you help already in the past )

Today I would like imitate what the professional publishers do. Suppose you have an old comic (see picture 1) to restore. What they...
        02-26-2007, 08:57 AM
      • CAnn
        Restoring old photo speckled with yellow
        by CAnn
        Hello,
        First time I ever posted on this forum. I have photoshop CS5 and while I'm not an expert, I am not a total newbie either..I guess somewhere in between. I have a photo that a co-worker gave to me sister to see if I could fix for her. She put the jpg image on a CD. She got it from her grandmother...
        04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
      • dipech
        More on discoloration....
        by dipech
        Here is another photo with a discoloration problem that I am still rather stuck with at the moment. This is about the best I've gotten it, but the man's face still seems too pink too me and the color balance sliders don't seem to be getting me anywhere. Do others agree? Any suggestions? I'll post the...
        09-18-2003, 01:09 PM
      • Shoff
        Getting rid of background
        by Shoff
        I need some help to get rid of the people in the back. I tried Extract, but I must really suck at it. It looked terrible. Any other suggestions? The people I'm doing this for are preparing their obituaries (morbid I know). So I had to take him out of a family portrait, clean him up a bit (hot spots,...
        10-24-2004, 09:17 AM
      • JGeddes
        Gangstaz - Restore
        by JGeddes
        Had this one come in yesterday... looks like a fun project. Not a lot of detail left in the features... the original is a 1996 inkjet print from what was probably a low megapixel camera. The print is sepia and fading fast! Would like to work through this with some discussion on methods and postings......
        01-25-2005, 08:32 AM
      Working...
      X