Heavy gunk on photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy gunk on photo

Hello! This is my first post, as I've just embarked on scanning and touching up a big box of old family photos!

One photo has a particularly gross chunky blob of I don't even know what on it.
    I've already scanned the print, and while I could just crop out the gunk I'd like to see if it can be removed with some gentle cleaning.

The print is from the 60s and is on thick matte finish paper with a backing that feels like plastic. There are a few tears and a fold which has cracked the image layer.

My first thought is to soak it for a short while in cold distilled water and see if it loosens the gunk. (I know that soaking for too long might damage the print.) Is this a good idea? A bad idea? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks so much!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

If it's water-soluble, some damp Qtips should work better than endangering the entire print. If it's not water-soluble all the soaking in the world won't help. You can also try alcohol, but gently.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I haven't done anything yet so I'll try your suggestion.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Joe Kelly
        1940s studio photo glued to mat
        by Joe Kelly
        I have a lovely BW photo of my mother's family, taken by a studio. the print appears to be glued to the mat board/paper on which it is mounted. I've already scanned it, but want to get the original off the paper and into an archive sleeve.
        What's my best move?
        Thanks!
        02-16-2008, 11:28 AM
      • thomasgeorge
        Albumin Prints--Identification
        by thomasgeorge
        Identifying the Albumin print with absolute certainty is, unfortunatly, a rather complicated process involving gross examination, microscopic examination, and various destructive tests only the safest of which will be described here. The need to absolutely and positively determine if a print is an Albumin...
        11-18-2001, 06:57 AM
      • Bazza08
        print on Photo
        by Bazza08
        Hello All
        Hope you are all keeping well, I am trying to fix an old photo for my sister, it has been left next to a printed paper and some print has transferred onto the photo is there any way to remove this print from the photo, I have photo shop installed.

Thank you...
        12-19-2016, 08:56 AM
      • ChrisVas
        Curled, cracked photo
        by ChrisVas
        Hello,
        This is my first posting. This site is wonderful!

I have a photo that was taken in the 1960s. It is black and white and has a big crack more than halfway across and it is curled. I was wondering first how to uncurl it safely without cracking it further or otherwise...
        09-13-2004, 09:10 PM
      • dragon3085
        cleaning off old photo pre-scanning
        by dragon3085
        I have been given some old family photo's dating back to the '20s(prints not negatives)- problem is that many of them of debris and some type of residue on them. Is there a solution I can safely clean some of the gunk off with without harming the print. I have know idea what the heavier residue is,...
        10-12-2006, 12:03 PM
      Working...
      X