Channel Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel Help

Does anyone know a quick way to convert a (RGB) Color Channel to a Layer image? (click and drag etc.) This will give you a grayscale copy of the image on a Layer

I know you can duplicate an image, split the channels of the duplicate image and then shift/move one of the channels into the original image. Is there a simpler way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron..

Ron,

If I'm understanding you correctly, I just do Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C on a channel, click Composite Channel to get out of the channel mode and Ctrl V to paste the channel as a separate layer in my image.

Comment

Thanks CJ;

Your suggestion worked like a dream.
      I knew there had to be an easy way to do this. I looked everywhere for the answer but I never tried the most obvious solution, "copy & paste".

Ron

Comment

The "obvious solution" is only obvious AFTER we solve it, I think. It's like the truism "you always find something in the last place you look" (because we STOP looking AFTER we found it!)

Glad it helped!

Comment

Though late...here's another way.
          After make a new layer, try Image>Apply Image

source 1 : a channel you want to copy and paste
          Blending mode : Darken (in this case Multiply bring same result)

Comment

Yes, venivedi;

That technique works as well. It took me awhile to realize the new layer had to be a blank layer but I finally got it.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Ron

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Andrew B.
              Nondestructive Channel Operations
              by Andrew B.
              Methods for channel blending usually involve destructive methods such as Apply Image or Channel Mixer. But there is another method that is not only nondestructive, it also allows you to use the power of layers when dealing with channels. Here's how it works:

Let's say you have a dirty...
              01-14-2003, 10:19 PM
            • Lithodia
              color channels
              by Lithodia
              I have never encountered this sort of problem, but I have heard of it and would like to know how to resolve the situation in case i do have to deal with it...here it goes: What if one of the channels of a file got lost or deleted..how would one go about replacing a color channel? (cyan, magenta etc)...
              04-09-2007, 08:25 PM
            • Panpan
              Combining channels
              by Panpan
              When looking at an individual primary channel in Photoshop, the image is lighter. Can somebody help me understand this? Something that is not perceptually neutral is happening behind the scene.

For example, a b&w image's RGB channels all look the same when I turn on each one individually,...
              05-06-2010, 01:11 PM
            • Maroon
              How to Replace Channel?
              by Maroon
              I use Photoshop CS3, and though I spend a fair amount of time working with channels, I've always had trouble switching them around. I normally convert a channel into a layer before I begin working with it, just because I like the flexibility. I'm sometimes able to replace the old channel through Apply...
              02-18-2008, 04:28 AM
            • Hardeep Singh
              Please help!
              by Hardeep Singh
              Hi

I think this pic has potential but havent been able to get it there:

http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=ygqpp...00&quality=100

I think if we can change the white background to something contrasting and touch the leaves that are off colour, we...
              04-24-2006, 01:23 AM
            Working...
            X