How to hide a matte finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hide a matte finish?

I have a small photo (about 2" x 2") that I've scanned at high resolution (1200 dpi) so that I can print it at a larger size. Unfortunately, the photo has a matte finish which is clearly visible on screen and on the printout. What can I do in Photoshop to get rid of the matte without impairing the quality of the photo? I've tried a gaussian blur followed by unsharp mask as well as a dust & scratches filter followed by unsharp mask but the sharpening just seems to bring back the matte. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mashny

Check out the thread called scanning patterns - your problem is similar but (presumably) less severe, so the suggestions of scanning twice at 90 degrees to each other and/or running Neat Image or Noise Ninja on the scanned image are probably good starting points. You can download demos of both products.

Comment

Thanks very much Leah -- that's exactly the pattern I'm getting. I'll try some of the suggestions offered in that thread.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• cinderella
        Enlarging a photo
        by cinderella
        Help !!! Should I resample or not when enlarging a photo? From what I've been reading both methods are recommended. Also , is the scan resolution critical when one is going to enlarge. I am restoring a 1" x1" headshot photo of two people taken about 1900 and want to enlarge it for family reunion...
        09-05-2002, 08:31 AM
      • aqx99
        Need help with photo
        by aqx99
        I have no idea where to begin fixing the attached photo. It is one of only a few that I have of my grandfather....
        08-12-2004, 04:52 PM
      • tamhas
        General approach to old photos
        by tamhas
        I've been having an exchange with the editor of the newsletter for a small historical society. The society has quite a large collection of old photographs, very predominantly black and white, gathered from various sources and periodically someone comes up with a photo which they won't contribtute,...
        09-19-2004, 05:18 PM
      • christo
        printed photo question
        by christo
        Years ago I came across a technique in one of the PhotoShop books at the time. It had to do with scanning images that had already been processed for printing. I have searched all of my reference material and cannot find it. It was relatively easy from what I remember only one part is escaping me. The...
        07-24-2007, 02:45 AM
      • yuppicide
        Newspaper to photo
        by yuppicide
        Need some help.. hopefully before Saturday so I can go print this photo out before a party on sunday.

Below is an attached scan of my Uncle.. R.I.P. It's the only good facial shot we have of him and my Grandmother and some of the family want copies of it. Unfortunately all I have for...
        05-03-2005, 06:16 PM
      Working...
      X