• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS vs digital ice

Hello everyone,

I'm new ere...
    I just upgraded to PSCS...

I have kidnapped my grandmothers Old Old photos...
    in hopes of restoring them.. most are cracked and damaged in various ways...

I do have Katerin Eisman (sp?) book...

my question is :
    has anyone used one of the flatbed scanners w/ digital ice?

if so is it that good?

would it be better to spend the time to hand retouch each
    (also factor in a while to learn how..smile) or get the DI scanner.

Any advice is appreciated..

Dan in Japan

I haven't had any personal experience with Digital Ice, but I have some thoughts on it. (I've read a few reviews, and seen a few pictures too.)
    I think it would not be a replacement, but rather an aide for restoration work. If I were using it, I would scan with the Digital Ice turned on, and then again with it off. I would then layer the two and use layer masks to work with the two. I can see DI being used like a dust & scratches filter.
    If DI works like the other plugins offered, I wouldn't set my expectations too high. I wasn't all that impressed and they only work some images.
    Having said all that, I would still probably buy a scanner with that feature. If it only worked on part of the image, that would be less work I'd have to do.
    Vikki

Comment

Digital ICE is actually pretty neat technology. I do not own a flatbed, but my Nikon Coolscan does come with Digital ICE3 (cube).

I have scanned some bad scratched negatives, and it turns out good. Unlike the Dust and Scratch filter in PS, Digital Ice does not soften the image. In fact, when I compare my scans with and without Digital ICE applied, the difference is hardly visible.

However, Digital ICE DOES NOT work with black-and-white negatives. I do know why, but I can always shoot and and convert my image to b&w in PS.

Comment

I haven't used Digital Ice on a flatbed scanner, but on my film scanner it works marvels - small specks of dust, hairs, etc. gone with no appreciable effect on the rest of the image (e.g. softness, etc.) even if you zoom right in. I have no idea how they do that. I would recommend a DI scanner to anyone.

BUT if the flatbed works anything like the film scanner DI won't take care of the level of damage you're talking about - or at least, if it has a setting on which it will then you're likely to start losing image detail. So you're going to have to learn some restoration the hard way .

Comment

thanks for the input

Thanks for all your valuable ideas and opinions...

Daniel

P.S. Think I'm going to get a flatbed w/ DI.. I can use all the help I can get...LOL

Comment

ScanMaker 6800

Digital ice works great with color negative film and slides. I use it fairly extensively with the Nikon Coolscan 4000.

I also have digital ice on the scanmaker 6800. It is a flat bed scanner and the digital ice is for prints only. You get mixed results using it. It can help repair some scratches and really minor tears. I even use it to help remove patterns or textures on the print paper. Overall, if you expect similar results as to what your would get with a film scanner, you will be disappointed. Having said that, I still tend to use it, as it helps reduce some of the retouch up work that I need to do on certain prints.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X