Wall Street Journal Headshots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Street Journal Headshots

Does anyone know how the WSJ achieves the engraved look of the headshots which accompany some of their columns and articles?

Do they start with a conventional photograph?

Would this make a good manipulation challenge?
    Attached Files

It surely looks very interesting .....

I don't think I've ever seen it done before .... But in such a big group I'm sure someone has ....

Comment

Why is Roy smiling?

I saw this interesting question a couple years ago, but there was no clearcut answer or conclusion. I would speculate that at one time each was hand crafted, but I can't imagine in this age of digital everything that would still be the case.

It's definitely a unique style.

A filter called "India Ink" from www.FlamingPear.com was used on this tongue in cheek example. It's in the ballpark, but I'm sure this is not what's used. A filter that renders similar effects, "Engraver" is available from www.Panopticum.com.

~Danny~
      Attached Files

Comment

Duh!!!

Checking Google, I found this page with an explanation of the process:

http://www.npg.si.edu/exh/journal/

Comment

Excellent detective work. Shows you what I know, but at least they crop it in Photohshop!

Seems like an exceptionally labor intensive indulgence for something that gets trashed or eligible for birdcage liner 15 minutes after its read.

Traditions die hard, I guess. Guess it's an indication the WSJ is making plenty of $$.

~Danny~

Comment

My try.

Catia
            Attached Files

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• tozzo
              Tutorial (link): Wall Street Journal look, Engraved images, Flaming Pear India Ink
              by tozzo
              I see some great Photo-challenge results on this site. A good friend of mine uses photos to make dot drawings called "hedcuts". I find these look more like the classical engravings than anything created on a computer. What do you think?...
              12-15-2004, 12:01 PM
            • T Paul
              Photorealism Challenge: Stone Wall
              by T Paul
              It was suggested that we start some drawing challenges, and I thought what an excellent way to help people improve their skills.

In this challenge you can use photos for reference, but none can be used for the actual wall. Be sure to include your steps, as this will be a great way to...
              08-06-2004, 11:11 AM
            • Mig
              NY Ugly
              by Mig
              This won't help in the healing process, it's not supposed to, but it does seem to capture the madness of it all. I made it a couple hours after watching the towers collapse. Some people think it's ugly, others think it's beautiful. ...
              09-14-2001, 06:23 PM
            • jeaniesa
              Artwork from Viet Nam
              by jeaniesa
              I haven't yet had a chance to scan my slides from my latest trip to share with you. However, I've always been amazed by the talent of the artists in VN. The mediums range from lacquer paintings to embroidered paintings to water color, oil, charcoal, pen and ink, not to mention weavings by the various...
              03-28-2002, 01:17 PM
            • Mike Needham
              A Bayesian Approach to Digital Matting
              by Mike Needham
              Before I launch into the post, Mods please move if a better location other than Salon is found, I was unsure as it is most definitely heavy duty Photoshop

Came across this site on a random browsing session A Bayesian Approach to Digital Matting It has a fairly heavy duty technical...
              07-09-2010, 01:27 PM
            Working...
            X