Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LCD or CRT?

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Sergio
    Samsung?Lacie? What can 900 dollars or less buy?
    by Sergio
    Greetings

Have read so many threads that were helpful but not enough that I thought I would start a new Thread. I hope you guys are not tired of talking about the same thing.

I am in the process of purchasing a LCD monitor, my first one. Being impressed with a fellow photographer...
    03-13-2010, 03:13 PM
  • jeaniesa
    Display questions
    by jeaniesa
    Much to my chagrine, it looks like I'm going to have to hemorhage even more money out of my bank account for a new display(s). I was really hoping that my new 2200 printer would work perfectly with my monitor the first time I tried it. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. The color t...
    08-11-2002, 10:33 PM
  • Jon
    Monitor question...can you help?
    by Jon
    I just invested in a new desktop, laptop, and printer. I am also getting some new camera gear. I picked up a monitor knowing it wasn't really the caliber I wanted, but what I could afford at the time and what the salesman shot me for a price with the other stuff. It is a HP w2338h 23-inch Diagonal...
    08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
  • irishblue
    Eizo or Lacie LCD monitors?
    by irishblue
    I'm currently using a 20" apple cinema display and thinking of upgrading to something better. I'm considering upgrading to either a Lacie or Eizo graphic LCD monitors. I notice on the cinema display, there's quite a bit of "burn in" where even if you move the image away, the mark is still...
    09-08-2009, 09:15 AM
  • Doug Nelson
    Flat-panel monitor aging
    by Doug Nelson
    I have two CRT monitors, both the same make and model, but purchased 3 years apart. They're getting increasingly difficult to match, even using the Gretag i1 calibrator. According to the Gretag site, this is "normal" as monitors age. This makes me wonder if other, non-CRT monitors also deteriorate...
    11-25-2005, 08:01 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD or CRT?

Hello all

I apologize if this question should be in the hardware forum but I really wanted you guys to answer if possible. I do a good bit of restoration work for a local gallery and I will probably need a new monitor soon. My question is (you guessed it) should I stay with a crt or buy a lcd/tft? I've read about the contrast problems with lcd’s but I’m not sure I understand it. Is it the whites/blacks that are hard to calibrate? I see a lot about contrast ratio some up to 800:1 but I’m clueless on how this fits in with photo restoration or if it matters. I don’t want to buy a lcd just to regret the purchase but the one’s I’ve seen are beautiful.

Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    MrEd1953

I've got one of each, but all of my colour critical work is still done on the CRT. There are some excellent LCD's around now, but they are more expensive than CRT's. If you're working on a budget, you can get a far better quality CRT than LCD for the same amount of cash. Get the best you can, as you're going to be staring at it for hours!

Comment

One each for me too. Color work on the CRT, LCD for palletes and general reading. I don't calibrate, just use Adobe Gamma. The LCD (500:1 contrast ratio) will simply not display all the colors my printer will print.

Chip

Comment

Thank you for your input. I will buy a crt.

MrEd1953

Comment

Working...
        X