Original to Restored Image Color Matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original to Restored Image Color Matching

Is there a way to take a color reading from an original print and input it into Photoshop CS so that the restored image matches the original in background tone?

I have a continual problem with matching the color of the original in my restored copies printed on my Epson 4000.

I know that the old fibre based papers that pastel and sepia prints were made on has a different base tone that the RC silver halide or the Epson Lustre paper.

I have to believe that there is some way of getting close without spending hours fooling around with the restored image. I am spending more time trying to match the color than I am restoring the imperfections in the original.

I know that Pantone makes a tool to lay on top of colors to get a reading for a matching hexadecimal or Pantone color number. Is there a way to do the same with another tool on original images?

I am scanning my images in on an Epson 1640. Are there specific settings on the 1640 I should be looking at changing?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated by this frustrated neophyte.

Thank you!

Hi Ahmed V. Ismail,

Welcome to RP!

Matching colours seems to be one of the most complex task when working with scanned originals, digital pictures > Photoshop > Printer ....

What I learned (? ?) is that, in order to have constant good results the first things to check and fix are:

Monitor Calibration.
    Color Management.
    ... and the right Color Profile.

I found the best and most extensive explanation on these delicate topics here just browse thorugh Tutorials, Articles etc ... everything is very well and clearly explained and it makes a very interesting reading ....

Hope this helps ...

Comment

Working...
    X