top layer flattened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top layer flattened

somebody within the last week has noted how to make a flattened copy layer as the top layer of your image while retaining all the layers underneath; i can neither remember how nor find the thread. can someone advise? thanks!

It wasn't me but I would imagine you would duplicate your image with all its layers then flatten that duplicate and then move it over to the original as a layer. At least that's what it sounds like you're asking.
    DJ

Comment

It wasn't me either. And I don't even remember why you would want to do that. If it's just a temporary thing, I think you could just flatten the image. After you do what you want, you could go to "History" and delete that part. But I'm probably wrong again (going for a spot in the Guiness Book of World Records). Why do you want to do that anyhow?

Ed

Comment

ed, i'm not telling :p

no seriously just to have the whole thing in one document for speculative puposes, but not close all my options. it's a family tree with a layer for each generation.

i could have sworn it was dj in the spots thread, but i couldn't find and you deny so i guess not. i wound up doing what you suggested dj, but what i'm remembering is a keystroke combination that just makes a composite layer on top, leaving the rest alone. I think "E" is in it, but you can't search for "E"

thanks though

Comment

Sorry Kathleen, I don't know of any key stroke that does that.
          DJ

Comment

You can do that (in version 4.0 at least) by taking a "Snapshot". You can choose to take a "Merged" snapshot (which is all layers) or a single layer snapshot.

Do you think that's it?

Comment

Hi Kathleen,

In version 6, to have a flattened layer above your individual layers you do the following

1. Create a new layer above all your other layers.
              2. Hold down the Alt key.
              3. Go to Layers, Merge Visible

Now your have a flattened version plus all your individual layers.

Ctrl + E merges down.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

Comment

eeeha, that's it.

when i read . . . "in version 6 . . . "my heart sanl, but it works in 5 too.

thanks sharon.

and vicki and dj for providing alternate methods - ain't photoshop grand?

Comment

Glad your happy Kathleen. Sharon, thanks for filling in the mystery.
                  DJ

Comment

Your welcome.

Glad I could help you. You've all helped me so much.

Sharon

Comment

Sharon
                      Why don't you post that tip in the tips catagory. It's in this Restoration, Retouching and Manipulation forum catagory and at the very top of the page. I think it's a good tip for others to see.
                      DJ

Comment