Gustave Dore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gustave Dore

This are two great Artworks [wood plates] from Gustave Dore... I'm creating a poster from them, but I' trying to remove the wood texture or improve the image... I ran a few methods [i.e. Moire Removal, Gaussian Blurs] but it doesn't look right... I lose a bit of definition, does anybody knows a better way???

http://www.scathach.de/dore/paradise...e_lost_001.jpg

http://www.scathach.de/dore/paradise...e_lost_010.jpg

I believe that's moire. If it was the wood grain, the images would be tonally reversed. If you have access to the originals, scan at the highest possible optical resolution and watch carefully as you downsample.

It's going to be difficult to remove the moire and still leave the fine etchmarks that define his work.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Once you convert a scan or image to grayscale, you eliminate half of your opportunities to improve it. Do you still have an original rgb version?
      Bill

Comment

I would not try to remove it. It's a woodcut and the patterns made are part of what makes it attractive (like brush strokes in a painting). If you still can, scan it in at a very high resolution (1200 ppi) to keep that pattern intact. Increase sharpness and/or contrast. On screen it may even look worse. Make sure you view it at 100%.

How do you intend to print it? The printing method could interfere with the fine pattern and cause more moire. A very high resolution printer that can hold that fine a pattern should do okay.

Comment

Okay, duh, the light just came on. Your links are to an online gallery. Because you wish to print these on a poster, the image is not going to come out looking the way you wish. In that case I see now that it is not moire, but grain and carving lines that will overwhelm the cheery nature of the image. In that case just apply some Neat Image or other noise reducer. You can touch up spots as necessary and resharpen.
          Bill
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M
            Okay, duh, the light just came on. Your links are to an online gallery. Because you wish to print these on a poster, the image is not going to come out looking the way you wish. In that case I see now that it is not moire, but grain and carving lines that will overwhelm the cheery nature of the image. In that case just apply some Neat Image or other noise reducer. You can touch up spots as necessary and resharpen.
            Bill
            Bill,

I quite agree with you, nice work.

realaqu

Comment