No announcement yet.

[Definition] Chromatic Aberration

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Definition] Chromatic Aberration

    First of all, thanks to Alpage for bringing this to our attention and providing the description and correct word for it.

    A problem that can occur during the scanning process.

    I am used to seeing this type of defect with poor quality wide angle adaptors. It's called chromatic aberration and it's caused because different wavelengths of light are refracted differently. In the case of camera lenses the aberration is typically spherical and therefore is most severe at the edges of the frame where the light is bent at the greatest angle.
    Scanners may bend light through a prism rather than a spherical lens, so the aberration is 'linear'.
    Do a search on Google with keywords 'scanner' 'chromatic' and 'aberration' and you will see quite a few articles on the subject.
    This can be seen in the final scanned results as a color fringe that extends beyond the edge of the image. Example > Check out the scanned image for Restoration Challenge # 23
    You will see the redish edge at the top of the image and also the greenish tinge at the bottom. This is a misalignment of the color channels created during the scanning process

Related Topics


  • Jim Frazer
    Scan Problem, Image on Silk Finish Paper
    by Jim Frazer

    I have 3 photos from my inlaws' wedding that I want to scan and include in a DVD slide show. In the process there will be some restoration. I'm seeing horizontal bands in the scanned images that may be due to the silk finish on the paper used to make the prints. They are also 60...
    11-01-2006, 04:15 PM
  • dtjones1987
    "Fogged" Areas of Image
    by dtjones1987
    Hello all! I am currently in the process of archiving my photo albums and have fairly moderate experience with Photoshop. I recently purchased an Epson V550 to help me accomplish this (I have scanned before but I want to do it "right.") Something I noticed is that the scanner picks up everything,...
    04-18-2018, 03:17 AM
  • BillD
    Tintype (?) Scanned Image
    by BillD
    A friend ask me to recover this picture. I scanned it in at 600 dpi. I'm new at this and only have PSCS2. I've tried some things and get some sort of image out but with no sucess. Any help would be appreciated....
    06-11-2005, 08:19 AM
  • Blueline
    Scanned images color problems. Please Help!
    by Blueline
    I've started scanning all my old album artwork and have noticed a brightish line running through all of my pictures and I can't seem to figure out how to stop it from happening.
    It seems to be caused by the calibration bar (?) in the centre of the scanner, whatever part of the image is placed...
    06-09-2009, 06:48 AM
  • e2b
    Dufaycolor - scanning, restoring, archiving
    by e2b
    I recently came across a number of Dufaycolor slides, and because I could not find anything much about scanning and restoring slides made with this short-lived process, I thought might be useful to share my experience (in a rather long post ).

    The Dufaycolor process was available from...
    09-15-2011, 03:31 AM