Straighten out a bad scan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straighten out a bad scan

Straightening out a bad scan doesn't have to be hard! Just use the crop tool instead of rotate. Line up all of the edges of the photo and crop it (you don't have to crop anything from the photo to do this)! This has saved me hours of time!
    - submitted by Markus Schneider
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

not sure if you were rotating this way.. but. its fast and easy.

just use your ruler tool. go from the top left edge, to the top right.. and rotate arbitrary. hit enter, and its perfectly straight.

Comment

I've straightened images both ways. There are advantages to each. If I have a line (like a horizon) that I want to get straight, I use the ruler. If I don't want to lose any of the image, or if there aren't any straight edges in it to work with, I make a crop box and rotate it until its edges match the image edges. It just depends on the image I'm working on which one I do.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by thatmold
        not sure if you were rotating this way.. but. its fast and easy.
        just use your ruler tool. go from the top left edge, to the top right.. and rotate arbitrary. hit enter, and its perfectly straight.
        Thanks for the tip. I never knew the ruler tool could be used this way...what a convenience!

Phyllis (who still hasn't plowed through the whole PS7 manual)

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AtlanaAnna
          Suggestions?
          by AtlanaAnna
          This old picture doesn't have a lot of major problems. I cleaned up dust, dirt, scratches and used levels to lighten it up. The scan is a little crooked but I don't know how to straighten it and I know there's a way to do it. Otherwise, any suggestions on what more I should do with it?

06-04-2005, 10:09 AM
        • pure
          Photoshop CS2 - how to use new perspective-tool ?
          by pure
          using the new perspective filtertool of Photoshop CS2, i would need a movie to learn how to use it.
          i tried it but nothing happened. reading the Photoshop help, sounds too complicated.

any hint?`

i got a room to correct, the horizontal lines are a bit distorted,...
          03-12-2006, 04:52 PM
        • ebbtide
          Problem with Cropping of old images
          by ebbtide
          Hi, Here's the problem. I have thousands of scanned images of very old document pages that need to be restored using photoshop methods. The first step is to crop and straighten the images, ideally in a batch file. The photoshop automatic crop and straighten function does not work well or mostly does...
          02-08-2006, 08:16 AM
        • Doug Nelson
          Cropping crooked images
          by Doug Nelson
          Use the 'measure' tool to draw a line on any edge that should be horizontal or vertical. Then go to Image>Canvas>Rotate Arbitrary and the necessary setting will already be entered to straighten the image. Then you can crop as you wish.
          05-20-2002, 03:14 AM
        • AKMac
          Rule of thirds grid.
          by AKMac
          Can someone tell me how to stop the rule of thirds grid coming up as default in the CS5 crop window. I find it an annoying visual distraction.
          10-17-2011, 06:51 AM
        Working...
        X