• Show
Clear All

• Photoshop Smoke Effect

A pretty neat effect and tutorial, written by Jon Couch
    http://www.bluesfear.com/submittuts/ps/1/
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Re: Photoshop Smoke Effect

Doug that is one of the tutorials I used on my "Smoking Kills" poster.
    it worked great.
    cathy

Comment

That was awesome. Thank you so much for sharing that. I tried to make smoke once before and just couldn't do it, but this is wonderful.

Comment

Thanks for the link Doug but i wasnt able to duplicate the effect.

I opened up his shot at step 2 (after he dodge/burned)
        I proceeded with the repetition of the Wave filter followed by the Fade (step 3-4) but it wasnt getting anywhere close to the smokey effect. And this was after Waving/Fading 20+ times!

I did start to Cmnt-T before filtering but it still seem to be leading towards the effect he has.

Anyone have a clue why this may be?

Thanks!

Comment

If you're using his screencap, you'll need to bump the rez up to at least 300ppi.

I made a simple action to run and fade the filter. Someone could probably come up with a much more elaborate one </hint>
          Attached Files
          Learn by teaching
          Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Honestly, I was really excited about this tutorial. Got everything ready with a bright pink color and a black background. Got the shape drawn. Then after that, it looked nothing like the smoke. I tried to do it several times, but I could never get it to work. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just don't know what it is. I thought I was following the guide.

Comment

I've used difference clouds for a similar effect, but this looks more like smoke. It did take a few rounds of wave and fade wave and overlay and resize, but it does work. I ended up making an action of all of his steps and just hit that a few times over. Here's what I had after the 1st try...
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X