Fixing Focus from narrow DOF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Focus from narrow DOF?

Hi guys - I shot this today with a 200mm lens on Shutter priority as the parade was moving. As the light was quite dull my lens has opened right up to around F2.8 resulting in very narrow depth of field. My friends father on the left is relatively sharp whilst my friend is blurred.

Can anyone provide some tips on how I can introduce a little more sharpness to my friend in the foreground. I know I really need a miracle - but worth a try.

I downloaded a trial version of Focus Fixer and tried a number of settings, using a layer mask etc all of which produced excessive noise and artifacts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Attached Files

Re: Fixing Focus from narrow DOF?

Hi jasosmith

I played a little with your photo and think with the original size you can get good results using masks with sharpening.

I got artifacts also, but the photo posted is a .gif and small, there's not much that can be done with it.

Can you post the original elsewhere and put a link to it here? I'm sure you'll get help.

Comment

I hope you didn't mind me having a go...

May or may not be what you expect as far as sharpening is concerned, but I gave it a shot anyway. The photo is slightly on the small side so leaving little room for flexibility to manipulate. Nevertheless, I cut out blurred guy, applied sharp masks (played with this a little). Didn't like the end result so to add a sharper look I decided to also blur surroundings and added a warm colourisation (don't know why, just seems better to me).

Let me know your thoughts.
      Attached Files

Comment

I really can't tell if this is an improvement. Does seem a little better, but perhaps too much noise.

dc
        Attached Files

Comment

A perfect use for razor sharpening. (settings 1,2,2)

Masked to just sharpen your friend

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys - some good attempts - I didnt mean to save it as a GIF - duh....I have upped the resolution a little now - cheers
            Attached Files

Comment

Used Focus Magic, 'Fix Out of Focus Blur' at Blur Width setting of 3 pixels.

Only used a quick selection of your friend... more careful selection would pay dividends!
              Attached Files

Comment

Printmeister - thats looks pretty good to me. Thanks

Comment