Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrik Hoelcks Backgrounds

Hey all,

I'm trying to work out how Hoelck gets his backgrounds to look like they do. Surely it's not just light/light falloff on a studio background.. It looks photoshopped but can't tell whether it's completely photoshopped or merely enhances the background that is already there in photoshop, and if so how?

Any tips for this kind of effect would be great, thanks a lot

Re: Patrik Hoelcks Backgrounds

Who's Patrik Hoelck? Gotta link?

Comment

Yeah sorry, forgot that

http://www.patrickhoelck.com/

Comment

This has been discussed many times. Search RTP for "Dave Hill".

Comment

I'm talking about the studioesque backgrounds, not the on location ones. They don't really look like anything David Hill has done..

Comment

I don't know that they are as much Photoshop as they are studio lighting and filters. In any regard they are desaturated and cooling filters added.

Comment

hehe...the patrick hoelck look! his style is very different when it comes to studio lighting then dave hill...I would say they are done in studio, but the vignett effect that you see on the christina ricci and sam jackson pictures are added in afterwards...it's all about the vignett effect actually,...for it seems so the darkness is on some pictures a bit uneven and maybe he has made a vignett effect with burn? too me that is logical since his pictures are all about burning shadows and dodging highlights...

Well that was my opinion

gerry

Comment

First time posting, so forgive me if I don't get this exactly right. I believe this is done in the studio. Check out the link below to a blog on off camera light
                called "Strobist". I believe he covers this exact technique.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/03...de-island.html

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by SayCheese View Post
                  First time posting, so forgive me if I don't get this exactly right. I believe this is done in the studio. Check out the link below to a blog on off camera light
                  called "Strobist". I believe he covers this exact technique.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/03...de-island.html

Matt

Noice site! Thanx for that. I like the attitude.

Listen, guys, this guy Hoelcks stuff isn't all that unusual. just a little trendy desat and cyan color fill, and a little dodge and burn.

Comment

I am looking for cutout scenes to use for backgrounds. Where do I find them?

Comment

Dumb question, what is a "cutout scene"?

Comment

i have a picture someone put together. She put a bride inside what looked like a castle balcony, the groom was standing down below her. It looked like they were cut outs of some sort. As you can tell I am fairly new to this art. thanks

Comment

fisher, you can use any picture you take, or buy stock photos or even buy backdrops on ebay or backgrounds on renderosity. it depends and what you are really looking for.....

Comment

Hey orchid
                            my name is res
                            I WORK for patrick in fact I"m looking at him right now... lol
                            90% of Patricks work is ALL LIGHTING! very little photoshop... I see the poloriods and scanned PRE-touched photos. he is VERY!!!!!! ANAL ABOUT everything including his lighting. we send the photos to professional retouches and they just make it pop. that's it. no crazy filters or ps tricks. just really crazy lighting... he also shoots 80% film 4x5 but has a 5d canon (canon rules)
                            I've seen some stuff he has done with a regular point and shoot... it's really the understanding of light and how it works...
                            hope that was some what helpful

Originally posted by Orchid View Post
                            Hey all,

I'm trying to work out how Hoelck gets his backgrounds to look like they do. Surely it's not just light/light falloff on a studio background.. It looks photoshopped but can't tell whether it's completely photoshopped or merely enhances the background that is already there in photoshop, and if so how?

Any tips for this kind of effect would be great, thanks a lot

Comment

I guess you can fake it by vignetting, and using blurred clouds with some noise in to get some texture. Heres a quick background example. Not to similar to Hoelck but you get the idea.
                              Attached Files

Comment