Evanescent Portraits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evanescent Portraits

Hello! I'm new here and I found lots of nice tricks and tuts.....

I'm expecially intrigued by some very light portraits I sometimes see. Lately I came across Mrs Vikki Hansen's gallery and I was enchanted by her children portraits: she can turn normal pictures into something really great! They are very light and evanescent, yet details are clear and very crisp. I read somewhere she puts on the original lots of light layers and then she masks them away. I tried it but it was a complete failure: portraits got awful!
    Do you have any tip for this kind of manipulation?
    Thank you in advance

Re: Evanescent Portraits

no clues on how to do or where to find a tutorial?

Comment

Hi there heres two things for you to try

Vikki Hansen is a member here you could try and pm her

secondly post a link to a image demostrating the technique you like and maybe someone can point you in which direction to go

Palms

Comment

oh, yes, I'm sorry..... I know she's a popular member, that's why I did not show her work, I thought you know them
        that's an example: http://www.pbase.com/vhansen/image/51069283
        or... http://www.pbase.com/vhansen/image/31029710

I do not want to know her secret recipes.... I would like to learn some tips to make those types of portraits. They are so... heaven like!!!

Comment

As a starting point take a look at this thread, there might be a few tips there to start with especially the vignetting actions of cspringers

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...-vignette.html

but will have a blast over the weekend and try to come up with something, hopefully one of the other members ( bit more experienced than me) will step in with some ideas

but it is always a good idea to put a link, as more people will look rather than hunting to find what technique you mean

Palms

Comment

Had a very quick rough try, and also presuming you use ps of some sort

i used pwl ( one way is using another of cspringers actions at www.atncentral.com)

diffuse glow and then a white vignette

got quite close but needed to tweak colours etc

Hope this helps in any way there are bound to be otherways ( and probably better ) so come on anybody else got any ideas

Comment

oh, you've been very kind! I really appreciate your help: I felt lost!!

Comment

No problem hope it has been of some help, post any results that you get, i will try when i get some spare time and post as well just to see how close we get

Palms

Comment

I had to bring my computer to the shop because lately it was too slow and I cannot work with this one. Hopefully I will have it back on Monday and I then will be able to try your suggestions. I will post my results and hope the comments will be good!!!

Comment

this is what I did, using the picture of the retouching challange #32:

http://www.retouchpro.com/challenges.../size/big/cat/
                    (I'm not sure the link will work)

I think the picture was improved but I'm not happy for the purpose I've worked on it. It's not.... special.... When I look at Mrs Vikki Hansen's pictures I stare at them with wonder... Here I feel like cleaning the glass in front of the baby... she looks like she's in the fog! the face is totally clear, but still not crisp and detailed!

I used curves, color balance, blurred surface (and I masked details away) and vignette actions of cspringers

Comment

Hey youre doing ok, Is this any better ( i used your post ) ? if not will have another rethink

Palms
                      Attached Files

Comment

oh, I now understand how to attach a file.

well. I wanted something more.. how can I say.... special... I cannot find the right word!
                        I told you, I feel I have to clean the window to better look at her!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by myfairies View Post
                          oh, I now understand how to attach a file.

well. I wanted something more.. how can I say.... special... I cannot find the right word!
                          I told you, I feel I have to clean the window to better look at her!
                          Well I think i know what you mean i just dont have the answer but will continue to have a think, if you get anywhere please let me know

At least there is one good thing you can now attach a file

Palms

Comment

Working...
                          X