Mom was MORPHED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom was MORPHED!

Can you help me 'see' what's wrong with my sweet mother in law's photo?

We hired a photographer to shoot a couple of photos of my in law's 60th wedding anniversary. He was a great guy, came to our location and I think he took some great shots...

I asked him if he would just put the pictures on a CD for me and give me permission to print them.... he agreed but then said, "I'll pick out the best of the group shot and the best shot of your inlaws portraits then I'll crop and retouch them".... I said, ".. oh, don't worry about that, I mess around with PhotoShop and I'll do it"......

I got the CD home and opened it up and the group shot was really nice but the portrait of my inlaws.... GASP..... my mother in law didn't even look like herself......

We called the photographer and he's agreed to putting the unretouched pics on a CD. I felt horrible because I know he thought he was doing us the better favor by touching them up..... I absolutely will use him again for a bunch of reasons.... but the family is asking about one of my 'famous' slideshows of the anny event and I don't have time to make the 1hr trip to get the original photos.

What is it that looks 'awkward' about the photo..... my real mother in law is on the right.....
    Attached Files

Re: Mom was MORPHED!

i think it's her eyebrows....maybe...they look shorter which changes a lot of her look to me, plus, it seems like there is less room between the bottom of her eyebrow and the top of her eyelid...just an observation...both nice pics though

Comment

the lip is "BENDING" to much...but that is not the photographers fault

th eyes is a white and soft...it seems that he has put some sort of diffuse/softing technique on her face...

Gerry

Comment

Hi Lelhsaneerg,

You're right about the eyebrows, but.... hehehe.... she does trim them.... I have a big thing about brows.... I think they sort of 'make' the face..... I'm going to try to add back the length and see if that helps....

I was thinking about that distance, too..... but kinda left it alone cuz I thought maybe the tilt of her head would make that look shorter.....

Thank you for these good ideas, I'm going to try them!

Beth

Comment

Hey Superkoax,

Re: the mouth "bend", I thought something was goofy there so I did a horizontal flip on her mouth and, when my hysterical laughing subsided, decided maybe it was the contrast between teeth and lips..

I also agree the eye whites may be a little too bright....

I guess the overall impression I get when I first look at the photo is that she looks like Herman Munster......

Thanks for your help.... I think I'll post more of each picture .......

I really do love his work.... I just think some of the actions or filters just didn't work well with her already strong features....

Thanks, superkoax
          Beth

Comment

Hard to say without seeing the source that was retouched, but to me, he's brightened her teeth way too much -- and made them 'glow', which is very unnatural. It's important to realize that teeth yellow with age and care must be taken when retouching not to go overboard.

Comment

LonK,

I agree about the teeth and know I have to force myself to keep from going overboard there... I didn't realize I was seeing a 'glow' but there is.

Here's a picture of the whole shot with insert of them naturally.... I love the photos, just got to get Mom back...

Thank you!
              Beth
              Attached Files

Comment

If you take an ordinary picture with direct and cold flash and compare it to a picture that has diffused flash and is more portrait minded, well there is the difference,,,some filters here, but her smile is very white and her eyes is white too...

Comment

Another thing I'm seeing here, Beth, is that her hair, neck and necklace are very sharp, yet her face (eyes in particular) are much softer, almost like they're out of focus. This disparity in contrasts is confusing to the senses.

Comment

This is the first time I have tried to un-retouch a photo. I flipped the good photo and overlaid it on the bad photo to allow for better comparison. He must have used blur because running high-pass filter un-did the softness. I brought the teeth back to natural by using levels and used Hue/Saturation and Color Balance to restore the color of the eyes. Minor de-saturation of the red channel corrected the skin color difference. Sooo.... here's your mother back (at least as close as I can get). Remember the good photo has been flipped horizontally.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's the second photo. Same issue with the blur and teeth. I used the high-pass filter (with overlay blending mode) to restore sharpness and levels to take the "shine" off your mother's teeth.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Lonnie.... I missed that.... and it was making it confusing.... I could see the softness in the face but, on some level, knew something was a bit 'off'.... you've got a good eye....

Duwayne.... that was pretty funny asking you guys to un-retouch a photo.... and, I'm posting the original for comparison..... you did a great job giving her back to us!

I knew you all would have insight into what was going on and I appreciate everyone's help....

Thank you,
                        Beth
                        Attached Files

Comment

has she seen it. I bet she would love it. I also am a little confused. the one on the left in the OP is the photographers right? I don't know what your mom looks like but they don't look that much different to me. Harsh light of direct flash wrong color balance and over sharpened VS. slightly out of focus and very soft light. I'm glad he is giving you the originals and what you want. It is also nice that you say you would use him again because you do like his work. i hope you get what you want.....

Jim

Comment

Hi Jimhob,

My mother in law hasn't seen the picture yet... but I'm close to finishing it.....

I will definitely use this photographer again! We had hired another photographer but 5 days before our event, he cancelled... I called this photographer with only a couple days notice to shoot our event..... right in the middle of wedding season.....

From the very beginning, he calmed me down and in a cheerful, professional way. He asked a lot of questions, too. He arrived early to check out the facilities and brought all his equipment.... I couldn't believe how quickly he hearded all 28 of us (5 were children) and had us casually grouped and laughing....

Our event was a Saturday evening and he had my photos retouched and burned to a CD that Monday. I love his work, it has a rich look that I also didn't want to lose. This is one of the reasons why I felt so bad asking for the originals. I felt like we were being ungrateful but I knew my mother in law wouldn't have been happy.

Since I've gotten to work on the photo a bit, I've thought that maybe we were used to seeing photos of her with her head usually tilted differently..... that would account for some of it....

I am going to write to him and thank him... for everything!

Thank you, too..... I do appreciate what you've said and am glad you 'got' that I do like him.

Beth

Comment

Well...... here goes...... I'm thinking this is the final one.... in lightening it I believe I've lost some richness.... and, I may have gone overboard on the skin smoothing but, those of you who know me, will be amazed that 'no pixels were harmed by blurring in this retouch'.... hehehe

So, I'm gonna hang on tight and let you photographers and retouchers blast away.....

Beth
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by solitear; 07-20-2007, 01:03 AM.

Comment