How much drop shadow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much drop shadow?

I really like earrings floating on white, or maybe with just a tiny bit of shadow at the bottom of the lower earring, but several have told me to anchor more distinctly.

I've looked at the jewelry sites that were recommended as having very good technique, and the shadows vary drastically from one site to another.

Opinions, please. Be gentle, I'm a beginner.
    Attached Files

Re: How much drop shadow?

I like what you did. It looks natural. I shoot jewelry.

Comment

I would angle the shadow more, so it looks like it standing abit up from the white...that gives more depth...IMO

Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by superkoax View Post
        I would angle the shadow more, so it looks like it standing abit up from the white...that gives more depth...IMO

Gerry
        Also, Shadows get darker as they approach the point where the object comes in contact with the ground. I always use at least two layers for a drop shadow.

Comment

I couldn't get it out very far, and I couldn't figure out how to get it to feather out. DUH...more layers!

(Slaps head..)

Comment

I like to use Andromeda's Shadow filter, a lot of possibilities
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by superkoax View Post

Gerry
              I really don't like Drop Shadows spread out very far. As they go far, the shadow tends to grow, go blur or light, and get out of shape. If you don't follow this natural fact, then your image would look artificial. This makes the shadow more attractive than the original image. Therefore, I agree with superkoax to make the image pop up. With closer Drop Shadows, you can also give emboss effect.

Comment

What does the image itself need to make it pop up?

Do I transform the shadow to angle it?

Could I have opinions on the overall image quality?

I have more respect each day for you guys who have gotten a handle on Photoshop. It's a lake with no bottom!

Comment

Oh, and the Andromeda shadow where one earring is closer is great. But I'm a little cautious of plug-ins right now, since I can't even use Photoshop yet!

Comment

Hi there

Just wondering if letting some of the gems light thru may make it better.

Just lay or hold your jewelry on or over a white piece of paper under strong light and you will see what the shadow should look like… Its strength and edge sharpness… nothing like the real thing to compare and it is easy in your case.

Butch
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Daviskw; 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Butch,
                      Nice work. I think that it would look a little better if you tone down the color in the shadow just a little, so that it doesn't compete with the jewelry so much.
                      Ray

Comment

Butch, could you tell me what you did to them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda99 View Post
                          Butch, could you tell me what you did to them?
                          Hi Lynda

Nothing fancy… I used a channel to aid in making a mask…. Control clicked on the channel to load the luminance.

I duplicated the background and added a layer mask to the top layer

Between the layers I added a new white background.

Duplicated the top layer and filled with black and set to multiply then offset the shadow to the right and slightly blurred.

I opened a blank layer set to the color layer mode above the shadow but below the earring layer and picked a soft brush. I sampled the gem color then just clicked once for the show thru color… and adjusted opacity to suite.

Then I used PWL to increase contrast and color in the gem.

Butch

Comment

Thanks. I really like the effect of a black reflector on these, but wasn't able to achieve what I wanted in the camera.

Guess it's time for me to learn how to use channels.

Comment