Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort of interesting

http://www.vmagazine.com/fashion_article.php?n=1032

if the above link doesn't work, go to v magazine and click beauty.

(Pascal is Box for those that worship)

Re: Sort of interesting

Interesting ...

in the first... he painted out side the lines (Bg by her neck)

Thanks for sharing, Ant

Comment

This is along the same lines as Shatz's book "Rare Creatures", where he photographs models without make-up but make-up is later applied in post-production.

Comment

This was really interesting. A retoucher I know used to work for Box. Interesting stuff.

Comment

Mildly interesting Ant, as you said.
          The concept is great, though not new. However in this case the application
          is flawed. Mario is a good photographer, not great, but good at capturing a certain feeling. I have done a some work for him in the past. In this case, at least to me, the makeup does not seem to be applied so much as it is just colors added in a kind of flat way. They don't seem to follow the contours of the figure in ways that one would expect. The fact that Pascal is taking credit for this "concept" gave me a good laugh though.

Thanks for the link!

Chris

Comment

CHRIS: I was wondering about that too...i've seen this effect been done before, but wouldn't credit pascal for the job...

But in my eyes this effect is good on very light pictures...the clown feel of doing the makeup is something I think must be in there to make the idea work better...agree?

well, understand me correctly...Would this effect work on other types of pictures? the whole white skin effect? I think of the technical aspect of it...just chatting here...maybe ant would answer?

cheers

gerry

Comment

I agree the effect is great on the images used. I just think that, with it supposed to be as if the makeup is added digitally, that it can lay flat on the skin better. The colors used are wonderful with the garishness of the clash.
              But I think that if a photographer was looking to cut costs(mistakenly) by doing this, if he saw this as a example he would not be convinced that it would be a good alternative to a actual physical makeup artist.

Comment

yeah, one more question though, this effect is done with brushes and different brush types loaded into Photoshop, but what layer is the best to achieve this effect? I've tried to work with this effect, trying it on different pictures that I have on my hard drive to practice, but I can't seem to find the right brush type and layer blend mode to make it look real...any tips from anyone regarding the layer blend mode would be appreciated...

cheers, chris!

gerry
                Last edited by superkoax; 09-10-2007, 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling wrong :)

Comment

Ideally it is a blend of brushes, modes, and displacing to wrap the colors properly. Selectively blasting "gobs" of color with strong motion blurs etc. There isn't any one way to do all the different styles they showed. Build your won brushes. Overlay, Softlight, Multiply in conjunction with some calculation masks will help also.

Comment