Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colorization

I'm lost on this step too.

What are you supposed to get when you press CTRL ALT SHIFT ~ ?

Comment

Originally posted by dooderwear View Post
      I'm lost on this step too.

What are you supposed to get when you press CTRL ALT SHIFT ~ ?
      The CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-~ shortcut only worked up to CS3. For later versions it's CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-2.

Comment

Anyone have any idea what happened to Ed? He posted this magic and disappeared.

Comment

Had to play ...
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm curious if anyone has experimented with improving the Saturation Mask.

Comment

Hi pixelzombie

Hard to believe it's been ten years! I’m afraid I haven’t done a lot of colorization in between but I guess from your question that you still see some merit in this approach, or at least potential, which is gratifying.

In light of the renewed interest Marina Amaral has inspired, I’ve recently begun taking another look at this myself. (I thought colorization was a dead art: if I’d known someone was going to make it cool and get famous I might have persevered!) My opinion now is that everything I did back then was over-the-top – oversaturated, especially in the three-quarter-tones. I also over-relied on saturation variation. i.e. I was lazy – Marina’s work shows that there is no substitute for getting lots of painstaking colour variation in there too. If only we could automate that! (In fact I see that she does to some extent, with randomised colour brushes.)

I have a new sat mask curve which generally seems to restore the original saturations more accurately when trialling with desaturated colour portraits. There are other things I plan to try, so if you’ve got a better curve, or another way of generating or manipulating the sat mask, or any other suggestions or observations, I’d love to hear them.

Ed's Sat Mask Curve II.psd

Comment

Working...
              X