No announcement yet.

Colorization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ed Thanks very much for posting your action and info. It works really well and I've found it really helpful

Comment

Does anyone have any contact for Ed Fisher?

Comment

Hi dooderwear

Nice to see there’s life in this old thread yet. Hope I’m not too late to be of assistance – please post any questions or comments you have and I’ll try to help out.

Meanwhile, I’ve checked that the EdColor Setup action still works with Photoshop 2020 (21.2.4 – I can’t run 2021 on my old iMac) and refined the instructions – it’s all in the zip file here.

EdColor Setup 2020.zip

Comment

Hi Ed, I love the action. I've made a couple of additions to it myself. For instance I lock the EdColor layer right off the bat. That lets me auto select the color layer I want. The next thing I did was duplicate the color layers with their adjustment layers so I have way more than I think I'll need. I can't thank you enough for setting this action up and giving me the head start to amazing coloring. Do you have a web presence anymore? I'm posting my colorizations on my instagram account @deanwilhite

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hi dooderwear
                  Excellent work: strong colour where appropriate, clean highlights, nice variation in the skin and the washroom wall. I'm afraid I let my website go years ago. Looks like I don't need one now - you are a great ambassador for the method!

Comment

Sorry: at risk of flogging this thread to death I could not resist adding an example of my own. The link below will (hopefully) take you to the full-size layered Photoshop file to download and see how it was done – and a couple more. Those files are in LAB mode: don’t convert to RGB on opening.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vfzuhcyco...XvUupFc3a?dl=0

(I hadn’t tried a landscape before and the Trees image is not a model of efficient working: I dare say it could have been done with half as many layers.)

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi

Probably haven't posted here in years but came across the site again and in particular this thread.

I am enjoying colouring black and whites and just wanted to share a few...

Any help and advice always appreciated

Best wishes Ray
                      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Hi Ray

The Bogart & Bacall is as nicely done as possible without ‘re-toning’ the black and white before colouring it. For whatever reason (the film stock used, a filter on the lens) the sky is too dark – to get a realistic blue sky you’d have to lighten it first. To get some colour into the tree, that needs lightening too.

(I find that a lot of old black and whites benefit from full-scaling – making sure the blacks are black and the whites are white; opening up the shadows – Shadows/Highlights tool; and darkening the skintones. Then I start making object-specific changes like your sky, for which I find a luminosity mask-making plug-in invaluable.)

Your Queen/Empress colorization shows what can be achieved with a full-toned high-res image, lots of patience and a sensitive eye for choosing colours. I love the gold braiding on the gown and the subtle colouring in the face.

It seems to me that there are three different looks you can try to achieve with a colorization: modern colour image; colour image from the period; or ‘colorization style’ – an image which no one would mistake for a colour photo but is a thing of beauty in its own right. Success largely depends on deciding which look is achievable with the image you’ve got to work with. Here, I’ve had a go at a more colourful style (layers in Dbox) and, I’m sad to say, I prefer yours! Your cool, restrained palette better suits the dignity of the subject. Well done.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Ed...

Many thanks for such a fantastically helpful reply.

I apologise for the delay in responding...just wish there was a box to tick to notify when a reply is received etc.

You are spot on re the sky...I saw a coloured version and thought it was too deep but tried to emulate that...but it is wrong...it should be lighter to be realistic....

Same with the trees...I was going to lighten etc but left as was in the coloured version but I should have used my own judgement and created a lighter sky.

Thank you so much for your kind words re the Queen/Empress image....I do wonder though if there is an easier was of colouring such minute detail which took ages...I tried selection methods but that did not work...so it became a painstaking and time consuming task...LOL

I think your idea of re toning black and white images is now a must, especially after the deep blue sky etc....I will definitely try this in future.

Sincere thanks for taking the time and offering help which is really appreciated.

By the way...your burger and chips colourisation is incredible...I looked at the psd...so much attention to detail...the best!!!

With very best wishes Ray

Comment