Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREYCstoration - Open source denoising algorithms

Cheers everyone,

I'm an aspiring photographer, still new to the world of photoshop, so I would like to introduce myself. Hopefully by pointing something new and useful. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this program:
    http://cimg.sourceforge.net/greycsto...stration.shtml

Link goes to the demonstration page. You can also download the program for free as well. Some of the examples look very impressive. What do you guys think?

Greg

PS. I hope it is somewhat new to some of you guys at least ;-)

Greg

Re: GREYCstoration - Open source denoising algorit

Hello Greg and welcome to RP.

Interesting stuff; news to me. Have you given it a go yet?

Comment

Yes I have. Just playing around.

I used to do a lof of black and white photography, sometimes when you make a mistake (ehem.. do it on purpose of course) with the temperature of the developer you'll get very grainy results.

I've tried the greyc program on one of those photos. It's slow, and it takes several iterations and some trial and error to get decent results, but once you get them.. they're amazing.

I don't think it's ready to be part of a regular workflow, because of the speed and inconvenience of using it (saving to tiff, running external program, figuring out proper parameters, etc). Still, it may be the best way to save certain "special" images when the alternative is to just about reconstruct everyting. At least it can come up with a decent starting point for further reconstruction.

Comment

Nice to have alternative tools in your toolbag. Thx for additional info.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• grumpy31
          Help!..Which program is best for me?
          by grumpy31
          I just stumbled onto this amazing site and hope it can solve my dilemma!..

I'm an amateur photographer and have no illusions of fame or fortune whatsoever!.. but, I'd really love to enhance my photographs to where I just might get a bit excited just looking at them. BUT, that has not happened...
          07-21-2010, 11:31 AM
        • lkroll
          Maybe a better way then Script-fu.
          by lkroll
          Just read this from a link from Slashdot. GEGL looks like cool stuff and an easy way to work interactively with an image. I do not know if you will be able to save your "trees", but I'm assuming you will. If so, this will be an answer to PS's Actions.

http://www.linu...
          10-16-2006, 11:54 PM
        • d_kendal
          Freeware
          by d_kendal
          When I bought my computer about 5 months ago, I decided to put more money into the hardware instead of buying lots of expensive software, and waiting until I could afford all the programs I wanted. but actually I ended up only really spening money on the operating system (which was included in the...
          05-20-2002, 11:18 PM
        • Doug Nelson
          IrfanView
          by Doug Nelson
          This isn't really a review, more of a heads-up.

For Windows users, you really should check out IrfanView. This adorably quirky little program is incredibly handy. Not an editor like Photoshop or PaintshopPro or others like that, but a graphics viewer with some additional handy utilities....
          12-09-2001, 07:40 AM
        • jugegamo
          The best program...
          by jugegamo
          I am sure this has been discussed here a lot of times but once again: hwat is the best software to manipulate photos? I have used Photoimpact (ulead) and photoshop. Is there another one that can ba also used without complexitites?
          11-22-2008, 04:45 PM
        Working...
        X