Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You aren't going to learn it on the internet....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You aren't going to learn it on the internet....

..and you can't learn taste. (Stop sucking)

[Hi, I'm new]

Ask yourself why you aren't any good at retouching. Is it because you don't really want to be good at it? Takes too much time, must be a button or technique I don't yet know? Maybe I just like ugly couches, that's my market. I mean, they, the furniture makers sure do make a lot of hideous looking couches - big companies don't make furniture nobody wants right? Maybe I just have bad taste..

There's nothing here for you, not on this site, and not out there on the internet. You want to get better? Practice. "But I like it that way." Great, you go ahead and like it, but don't expect anyone to pay you for it.

98.9% of you suck balls. It's your turn to figure out why and change it. Don't ask for technique or pointers. It comes from your eyes, your sweat, your experience and strive for real knowledge. Compare your work with what's out in the real world that people pay good money for. Hold yourself to the highest standards, not Maxim or People. There are no shortcuts. You use them and make yourself look like an idiot amateur. Face it, 90 percent of the people who use photoshop can do what you do - most better.

Look within. Use your damn eyes. Don't ask for critiques from those that know less than you. Don't submit for critique something that looks bad or is unfinished or imbalanced. They're going to notice. They're not going to overlook it. You can't hide. Don't comment on crap that you aren't qualified to comment on. Stop taking bad advice from the internet, your friends and parents. Use a damn mirror. Stop applying for classified ads when your work sucks, you waste everyone's time, your own being the least important. It's impossible to fill a position or job out a project without wading through piles of junk. Save yourself the rejection and others the headache. You are bringing the industry down. Hell, advertising rates have been stagnant for nearly 10 years now. Go back to the shadows until you have something to offer. Sure, we all started somewhere. Problem is, you need to erase your brains first and start with the basics. Stop getting ahead of yourself.

Do you really know what the titles Junior Retoucher and Senior Retoucher mean or the expectations of those titles? I don't think you do. You don't qualify as a Junior retoucher, trust me.

Don't make a website, the internet is clogged with enough junk already.

Throw your actions away. Learn how to construct a file like it's supposed to be done. Get an internship and if you're lucky, cut masks and make paths.

Be more realistic and humble. Use a Mac. Use a tablet. Get your monitor calibrated and do it regularly. Go to the museum. Look at high end magazines. Take a drawing class. Analyze light. LOOK at people. Get away from the computer. Take a photography class. Get a job at a prepress house doing separations. Get in some sort of related industry and learn something. Quit that cube job and go work at a camera store. Something. Being an insurance salesman during the day and being on the internet and playing with photoshop all the time is not feeding you.

"I've been using Photoshop since it came out" <--- Why is it that you can't make anything that doesn't look like ass then?

You answer.

14 year olds are going to own you.

Buy my dvd! (I'm not selling one and you're wasting your money)

Re: You aren't going to learn it on the internet..

You quite full of yourself...:+}
    Are you a retoucher... hahahaha

Your going to go a long way with that attitude..:+]
    Snook

Comment

Me smell bad but I no stink!!

Good post we need more telling it like it is!

Comment

Well, Hugh, that was enlightning. Why don't you tell us how you really feel? Obviously Retouch Pro is not the place for your extreme Photoshop skills. This site was designed for people to people help with digital image issues. It's not a place to get a job, it's not a place to rant about the "amateurs".

Comment

Hello

my English is bad therefore my understanding can not have been 100%,
          but if you thinks thus and wrote this, why came until the forum?

Cya.

Comment

Originally posted by snook305 View Post
            You quite full of yourself...:+}
            Are you a retoucher... hahahaha

Your going to go a long way with that attitude..:+]
            Snook
            I'm not trying to make friends Erick. What's the status of your P30?

Comment

If there's nothing on this site, why would you want want to participate or contribute?

Comment

Are you talking about the gun or the camera, Hugh?

Comment

DB Swampster

Comment

If there's nothing on this site, why would you want want to participate or contribute?

but if you thinks thus and wrote this, why came until the forum?

This is denying the purpose of this thread. Stay on topic. comment, fine. Ask moot questions, not fine. Doesn't change anything.

Comment

:+}
                      Eric by the way...:+}
                      Not sure... Upgrading to the P30+ I think next week..
                      and the new Phase/Mamiya camera...

Just out of curiosity why the Post...:+}
                      Although some how I agree with a lot of what you are saying.. I learned EVERYTHING I know technically from the internet.
                      I would consider myself above average retoucher and I learned everything from net and VTC's. Nothing Beats VTC's. If your like me and like visual learning tether than reading words... They are the best way and of course like you say nothing beats hands on!

For Instance have study just about every tutorial there is for masking hair and until recently really getting my hands on and doing it did I learn it is not that hard and there are only certain ways to do it.
                      You can make your point across but after more than 7 post it may come across less harsh..:+}
                      Snook

By the way who are you?

Comment

Originally posted by HughSteenk View Post
                        ....This is denying the purpose of this thread...
                        ... ??? ...What purpose? (beside giving vent to your own frustration) ...

Comment

Originally posted by snook305 View Post
                          :+}
                          Eric by the way...:+}
                          Not sure... Upgrading to the P30+ I think next week..
                          and the new Phase/Mamiya camera...

Just out of curiosity why the Post...:+}
                          Although some how I agree with a lot of what you are saying.. I learned EVERYTHING I know technically from the internet.
                          I would consider myself above average retoucher and I learned everything from net and VTC's. Nothing Beats VTC's. If your like me and like visual learning tether than reading words... They are the best way and of course like you say nothing beats hands on!

For Instance have study just about every tutorial there is for masking hair and until recently really getting my hands on and doing it did I learn it is not that hard and there are only certain ways to do it.
                          You can make your point across but after more than 7 post it may come across less harsh..:+}
                          Snook

By the way who are you?
                          Why not? Sick of seeing crap. Sick of seeing links to this site. Unless you intend to sell something, there are maybe 2 real retouchers who might come here (Tarrintono is one, but he's a bizness man just pimping wares for the most part - thinly veiled). Reading through the threads here, man, hurts. Perpetuating badness.

As far as learning via tutorials. Sure, no secrets. It's all out there. Doesn't seem to be working though for most though does it? In your case, you are one who is already in the industry and knows how things should look and have a modicum of taste innately and/or from experience. Some people don't have it and never will nor will it expand from badness to something else because they don't/won't seek it out. It's not that hard. Practice makes perfect. Not rocketscience, never was. Being critical is more important. As for being one of the better retouchers, I'd say more of the better photographers who retouch their own work. I don't imagine you'd fare as well hired as a retoucher professionally. You do a decent job with your own stuff certainly.

Harsh? Look at that Ant guy, and he's not said anything that I've read that's incorrect. I of course haven't read everything but so far so good. Is this a social club?

My name is Hugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Flora View Post
                            ... ??? ...What purpose? (beside giving vent to your own frustration) ...
                            Read the post. It's for you too. Why do YOU suck? How could you be better? There are helpful statements in the thread. If you fail to see them, fine. Again, posting statements outside of the thread topic are just derailing. Why question, I'm not wrong here. Who cares my motivation?

Comment

A moot question is one that is arguable or open to debate. What is the purpose of this thread?

Comment