Dodge and Burn Technique - uneven skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge and Burn Technique - uneven skin

Hi everybody.. I need some help with D&B. Would be really grateful if you help me.
    My cousin asked me to retouch her photo. Cut her face from the original and retouch it. I was using D&B technique (provided by videosean http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=272 ) and in some places skin is a little bit uneven.. when u zoom it - it's not noticeable but from the distance u can see it.. like in this photo the forehead and temples. What do I do wrong? and how I can avoid or correct it? (I uploaded the original too.. just in case)
    Attached Files

Re: Dodge and Burn Technique - uneven skin

the image is to much compressed,so it is hard to get even skin tone.

bigger file
    http://shrani.si/f/33/WZ/4cEkoyyt/1/dodge-and-burn.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Aleksman71; 07-30-2008, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I'm not familiar with that particular video, but for the D&B layer, what blending mode is the layer set in?

Comment

Linear light.
        here is the link to download bigger version
        http://rapidshare.com/files/13360888...uched.jpg.html

Comment

It's one of the way out in your version Aleksman71.. but what to do if a photo needs to be more real.. when you need to see every single pore.. like f.e make-up cream ads?

Comment

They almost always add skin texture
            like I did here
            http://shrani.si/f/2H/gn/1fnzPxok/skin.jpg
            Try with this one in oyerlay mode(play with size and transperency)
            http://shrani.si/f/D/mv/20TZoWBi/skin2.jpg
            Last edited by Aleksman71; 07-30-2008, 11:42 AM.

Comment

ok..thank you so much!
              I've never done it before but will try to do smth.. do you have may be any tutorial how to do it? would be really greatful

Comment

Sorry, I dont have tutorial,here are some other skins.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Aleksman71; 07-30-2008, 03:04 PM.

Comment

thank you so much.. will try to find how to do it

Comment

Originally posted by skauskas View Post
                    when u zoom it - it's not noticeable but from the distance u can see it.. (I uploaded the original too.. just in case)
                    You don't always have to D+B at 100% or above. In fact, you don't really need to go over 100%. Do your initial D+B pass at 100%. Zoom out to 50% and do your second D+B pass, then zoom out to 25% to do your third one if needed. You might have to do your last D+B pass at 12.5/% depending on the size of the image you're working with. I find myself always have to do the last pass at that level for the close ups from the Phase One. The skin is going to look very smooth at that zoom level, but if you zoom it back to 100% every bit of texture is still there, because all you did was just changed the shading of it. You move a lot quicker this way, too, as oppose to starting your first pass at 400%. Also, switch your blending mode to Softlight for more subtle blending. If you need further explanation, read Chris's blog.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/blo...confusion.html

Comment

Thank you for your useful answer.. I was thinking in that direction but always thought that I will miss some parts of the skin or f.e lighten them where I don't need to do it.. and your are right, this way will go faster.. it takes really a lot of time to do it in 500% zoom
                      Will try ur way right now! Thanks again

Comment

Don't get discouraged if it didn't work out well on your first try. It takes a lot of practice and patience.

Comment

Hmmm. how's the best way to apply the texture? Maybe make a pattern fill a layer use a displacement map of the grayscale of the original image on it and paint on using a mask in luminosity blend mode?????

Comment

Originally posted by julianmarsalis View Post
                            Hmmm. how's the best way to apply the texture? Maybe make a pattern fill a layer use a displacement map of the grayscale of the original image on it and paint on using a mask in luminosity blend mode?????
                            Make new layer,past texture image in this layer,set layer to oyerlay mode(play with size of texture to get corect skin and wrinkel size and set transperency from 20 to 60%)

Comment

I'm not totally new to photoshop (not like a week ago.. well .. may be like 5 months) but your way julianmarsalis sounds really complicated) but I'm sure it's not that hard as I can think
                              Aleksman71 your way sounds easier.. will try it tomorrow and come back to you with my result

Comment