Smoothing a video frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoothing a video frame

I need to use a video frame (snapshot) extracted with Sony Platinum to use as a DVD label, but as everyone knows, the resolution is low, even on a frame where the subject is still. Anyone experimented with software that might help smooth the pixelation out so that the snapshot could be used?
    I do have CS3 but didn't have much luck withthe filters.
    Reg

Re: Smoothing a video frame

Unless the video is progressive, the first thing would be to, filter, video, deinterlace.

Comment

Tried that, it made it worse. I finally reduced the size of the image on the DVD so that the pixelation wasn't apparent. I have seen a deconvolution program which would improve an image but for the life of me, can't locate it now.
      Thanks,
      Reg

Comment

What resolution is the video shot at?

The attached is a square 600 x 600 crop from a 320 x 240 avi screen capture enlarged to 1365 x 1024 in Photoshop. Contrast adjustment and a run through Neat Image noise filter. There are some compression artifacts, but these can be cleaned up in PS.

If your video was shot at DVD quality i.e. 720 x 540 (or something close) then it should be more than good enough to get a decent image.
        Attached Files

Comment

Project was shot at 720x480, screenshot is 327x240. Your shot is good, I'll try your method.
          Thanks,

Comment

You may want to try running it through a couple passes of noise reduction (noise ninja if you have it, then hitting it with Unsharp mask, maybe around 10:50:0.

Comment