No announcement yet.

Right clicking (or command clicking) in PS

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Right clicking (or command clicking) in PS

    Windows users can rightclick in your image area (Mac users can command click) to bring up useful options for whichever tool you're using. For example, rightclicking with the brush tool will give you the brush controller, and rightclicking with the move tool will give you a clickable listing of all your layers.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

  • #2
    Right clicking inside selection area (PC)

    Right clicking inside a selection will display a box which allows you to do many things with the selection, such as "new layer via selection", or "save selection", as well as others. This is a timesaver.



    • #3
      Not sure of the equivalent key for Windows users, but for the Mac CONTROL-clicking on a part of your picture (which contains several layers) will give you that layer (and sometimes one or two around it) and you can switch layers without going over to the layers palette. THAT'S a time saver!


      • #4
        The Mac has a control key? I thought the Mac/PC equivalents were command=control, option=alt
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning


        • #5
          PC / Mac

          Ctrl / Cmd (command or apple key)

          Alt / Opt (option)

          Shift / Shift


          PC right mouse click / Mac if not using third party multi button mouse, then the keyboard Control key can be depressed then the mouse button click.

          The control key on the Mac is used in Photoshop and the operating system to perform contextual menu operations, since by default the Mac does not use a multi button mouse.

          On a side note, I like the new optical mouse from Apple, where the entire mousetop is the button, it sounds strange but is really comfortable - I have swapped over from the three button MS Intellimouse for the simpler Apple design, it is lower profile and more comfortable over an extended period of time). I was a very vocal critic of the 'hockey puck' round mouse from the initial iMacs, so I am very pleased with the redesign for the newer Macs.


          Stephen Marsh.


          Related Topics


          • kapital
            Selection Brush in Paintshop?
            by kapital
            I am trying Paintshop pro X and CS2 right now, and I can't find the kind of selection brush that Photoshop Elements has. All I see is the lasso tool and the magic wand. Am I missing something? (I know that there is also that magic selection thing, but that's not the straightforward selection brush I...
            09-05-2006, 04:41 AM
          • T Paul
            Selection Tool
            by T Paul
            You can use the selection tool to make copies of your selection quickly and easily. My standard practice for copying a selection is to select it then copy (Ctrl+C), paste (Ctrl+V). However, I just learned a neat little trick today.

            1. Open an image
            2. Pick a selection tool...
            06-16-2005, 11:56 AM
          • brians
            loading selections from layers
            by brians
            In older versions of Photoshop, you could command-click on a layer and load a selection of whatever was in that layer. Now that CS2 allows you to select multiple layers (by shift-clicking) you can't do this anymore.

            Note that you can still load a selection by command-clicking on a channel,...
            08-30-2006, 06:09 PM
          • scribbler
            selections within image
            by scribbler
            Can anyone guide me in where to find tutorials on selecting an object/area within a photograph so that I can use it elsewhere.

            I have been using Paintshop pro for a short while and now I have only just purchased a 2nd hand version of Photoshop7 but have scoured the web in search of such...
            04-11-2005, 06:10 AM
          • Makman83
            Ctrl+Alt+Shift+~ (selecting lighter parts) on Mac
            by Makman83
            In photoshop on a PC you have a shortkey combination: ctrl+alt+shift+~ which select the lighter parts of your image.
            I recently switched to a Mac and now I'm looking for the similar function but I can't find it anywhere in the menu's and I also can't find a similar key combination. Does anyone...
            05-30-2009, 03:14 AM