Even Color Tones - Fiscus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even Color Tones - Fiscus

Attached is a photo by Jim Fiscus. Look at the skin tones and even the clothes. It seems as though the colors are mono - or this isn't any variations in the color... its just one solid color.

Q: How do you do that? How do you retain the highlight and shadow values while modifying the color to be even?

I hope my question makes sense.
    Attached Files

Re: Even Color Tones - Fiscus

Well, new layer, color mode, paint away

Color layer will only affect the tone and not the luminosity of the image.

Comment

Yes I've tried that method but I am not getting the results I am wanting. Maybe it depends on the photo?

Is there perhaps a different method?

Comment

well since we dont know what your attempts looked like it's hard to see if you did something wrong.

The way to affect colour only and not luminance values is the color channel. If you didn't get the results you wanted then the technique might still be the right one, but you just didn't execute it right?

So maybe you could tell us a bit more of what you did?

Btw. use one color layer per color you add to the image. makes finetuning a lot easier than if you have everything on one layer. And build the color up gradually, dont go 100% on it.

This was a quick edit (very very quick, using a mouse, dont look at it too critically i did just to test it out. Basically a black and white conversion in the bottom, then 6 color layers for the different tones. Gradually painted in.
        Attached Files

Comment

From the image provided, is a color layer how Jim Fiscus got the color tones/values in the image or was it done a different way?

Comment

ah now we are possibly talking about two different things. When i studied color-theory the color tone was basically what hue of color was used, and the value was a combination of saturation and luminance. The color hue AND saturation are affected ofcourse by a color layer but the luminance is done in a different way.

But i think the Fiscus image shows two distinct things that makes up the technical aspect of the image. The even color hue and saturation like we talked about and the shaped look of the image. With shaped i mean D&B adjustment of the 3-dimensional feel of the shapes in the images. By using any of the D&B techniques (i prefere 2 curve layers in luminosity mode, one for shadows with a darkening curve, and one for highlights with a brightering curve) you basically re-shape the forms to create a more dramatic local contrast that you have 100% control over. This can also sometimes be called (and look like) a illustrated look, as it may resemble painting or airbrushing more.

Those two combined creates this effect. Incidentally, the guy in my picture is shaped the same way.

To speak about the actual creation of the photo you usually light it to be even but sliightly on the flat side (so you retain good detail everywhere). My image is just one ringflash for lighting.

Comment

And gradient map adjustment layer can help, and you can preserve the luminosity too.

I have been trying in some pics with Bridge or Lightroom, playing with the vibrance slider. You can desaturate de image but in diferent way than with the saturation slider. Not all the colors works in the same way, and you can get that monochrome tone, getting a better starpoint to work with the image a get that results.

Play with it, is very interesting.

Cheers.....Javier

Comment

HuBBa, what's the difference in your D&B technique instead of using a 50% grey layer in soft light and paint the shadows/higlights? Can you explain it or you have a tutorial?
                JavierT, what do you mean with "preserving the luminosity" using a gradient map? Thanks guys, sorry if I'm a bit OT.
                Cheers.

Comment

Il Dogue, my technique lets you separate the artificial shadows from the highlights, so you can adjust the effect ONLY on the added highlights by changing the curve or the opacity of that layer.

If you use 1 layer for both, you will affect both.

However! if you dont need to change anything it will work just as fine with the one layer approach. The goal is to re-shape the 3D of the subject.

I suspect by preserving the luminosity he adds a gradient layer going from black to white, just below the color layers. This will create a "perfect" greyscale image which you can then re-paint in colours above. If you do not do this (or any other desaturation | B&W treatment) you will mix colours with the old colours and that will be well messy.

Comment

"Now, the trick itself is pretty simple:
                    # make a duplicate of your background layer and place it above the background.
                    # Convert it to grayscale, using your favorite method.
                    # Switch the layer to hard-light or soft-light mode
                    # adjust opacity, add layer masks to taste.
                    # repeat as necessary to fine tune in various parts of the image.

That's it! Now, I doubt Mr. Fiscus uses just one layer to get his photos the way they are, but that's the basic idea behind it."

http://jw-digital.net/blog/archives/...g_the_jim.html

Comment

not again

Comment

Originally posted by Gee View Post
                        "Now, the trick itself is pretty simple:
                        # make a duplicate of your background layer and place it above the background.
                        # Convert it to grayscale, using your favorite method.
                        # Switch the layer to hard-light or soft-light mode
                        # adjust opacity, add layer masks to taste.
                        # repeat as necessary to fine tune in various parts of the image.

That's it! Now, I doubt Mr. Fiscus uses just one layer to get his photos the way they are, but that's the basic idea behind it."

http://jw-digital.net/blog/archives/...g_the_jim.html

Sorry but that is not what he is doing at all.
                        That might come form the Dragan days ...
                        Not What ficus is doing at all in these images. They are probably handpainted toned!!
                        Snook

Comment

Doesn't desaturate and then paint a new solid color work?

Comment

previous post
                            Attached Files

Comment

Maybe my eyes and brain are just behind the times, but a duplicate layer, averaged and applied in colour blend mode with a few tweaks for lighting and saturation, come pretty close (in terms of colour) from what I can see.
                              Attached Files

Comment