Help with removing shadows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with removing shadows

Hey guys. Newby here. I'm ignorant when it comes to photo editing and I need some advice on purchasing a good photo editing software. I take a lot of concert photos (Tim McGraw mainly) and the dang hat leaves a shadow. Can someone give me some advice on a software that would remove the shadow?
    http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...arlotte189.jpg

Re: Help with removing shadows

I could be wrong but here's my take--
    The photo editing software can lighten the shadows but not enough to see much detail without looking contrived. The more you lighten the shadow the more the shadowed area looks grainy and out of place.

You could expose for the shadows but then the rest of the photo would likely be blown out. If you are close enough --you might be able to use a fill lighting (flash or reflector or something). Or...you could wait until he looks up to shoot.

This is done with photoshop highlights and shadows tab at 90% then run neat image to reduce noise.
    Hope this helps
    Sandi
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by swarbees View Post
      I could be wrong but here's my take--
      The photo editing software can lighten the shadows but not enough to see much detail without looking contrived. The more you lighten the shadow the more the shadowed area looks grainy and out of place.

You could expose for the shadows but then the rest of the photo would likely be blown out. If you are close enough --you might be able to use a fill lighting (flash or reflector or something). Or...you could wait until he looks up to shoot.

This is done with photoshop highlights and shadows tab at 90% then run neat image to reduce noise.
      Hope this helps
      Sandi
      Yeah I see what you're saying. I don't usually use my flash at concerts. The pictures seem to come out better without it but maybe I'll use it during my next show to see if it helps. Thanks so much for all your help!
      Teresa

Comment

TIP.. if you use flash (or not) get as close as possible.. no more than 10-15 feet with flash .. if you must use an on camera flash, turn the camera with attached flash upside down to put the flash under the lens and fill under the hat.

If you can get a pass shoot during the sound checks or rehearsals

Comment

that's a great idea---I don't use my on camera flash very much since I acquired a bounce but that would at least put the light where you need it---if you can get close enough

Comment

thhall,
            One problem with digital cameras is that it is very hard to bring out the shadows (it's just an inherent problem with the way we see light vs a camera). So, do a little practice before your next concert and it should improve the resulting images substantially.

The Panasonic DMZ is a nice camera, so use it's full potential. Take some practice shots prior to a concert, noting the following:
            - learn to override the Auto mode;
            - change the metering from "pattern" to center, or something similar. The goal is to have it adjust the speed/aperture/ISO based on the subject, not the surroundings;
            - change the exposure compensation upward making the image lighter. The goal is to overexpose just a tad, reveal the shadows, and recover the highlights later. (Cameras store more highlight information than shadow information, and store more than revealed in their resulting image. We can recover some if they look blown out. Your camera only stores images as jpg's. However, we can recover some highlights from them as well.)
            - don't bother changing the ISO, as higher values will likely result in a lot of noise in the shadows a ruin your shots.

Your attached image does not reveal good detail on his face in the shadows. One reason is the low resolution (72ppi). But, basically it's the way it was taken. After adjustments, he ends up looking a bit like a raccoon. So, practice and hope your next batch are much better.

Comment

Another version

Butch
              Attached Files

Comment

please enlighten as to how you got the shadow to come out with out grain and then grain reduction which blurs etc.
                please pleasd
                Sandi

Comment

Sandi...I cheated...lol... I ran a search of the net and found a picture I could warp and blend. Sometimes it is the only way.

Butch

Comment

well it looks great ---- and I've been going the easy route since grade school

Comment

My take...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's a couple ideas of taking it in the opposite direction. working with the error. All depends of what the photo would be used for. If he were a musician it would make a nice CD cover type thing.
                        Attached Files

Comment

hawkeye60 and daviskw, How were you able to remove the shadow?

Comment