Should i buy a wacom tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i buy a wacom tablet

Was wondering if i should buy a wacom tablet and if so which one should i buy,
    I use a mouse at the moment and would like to get in retouching. I have not really done that much retouching and would like some tips on were to start.
    I would like to retouch people. I have just ordered The High End Retouching DVD from digital photoshop retouching.com Is this a good starting point. The wacom tablet i am looking at is the Wacom Intuos3 SE A5 Wide Tablet, Pen and Airbrush Mac/Win.
    Regards frank williams

Re: Should i buy a wacom tablet

The question is, why would you not buy a tablet. Get what ever you can afford.

Tip, practice!

Comment

Hi Frank;

I am using the Wacom Intuos3 6x8 about 50% of the time.
      It is super for most of the things that I do in Photoshop, it comes with
      a mouse that for me is a waste of time. If you get one take the time to setup
      the switches and slide for your style of work..
      Tom

Comment

Frank,
        There was a post not too long ago about the same subject. You should probably read it also. (Link to other post.)

Opinions seem to vary greatly, as with any hardware purchase. Opinions seem to relate to your budget and your intent. Personally, my computer gear is a big hobby of mine, so budget is not a big concern... I like toys ! I have a Wacom Intuos 3 6x11. It works great and the aspect ratio matches the screen, which is a great benefit. I'm sure a less expensive one would work just fine. I simply don't like to take the time and effort to tweak lessor known hardware, just to find out later I need to replace it.

Comment

If your going to retouch for a career get yourself a tablet.

My first time i was like OMG how do i use it without it just flying across my screen ?
          Now i cant live without it - it travels with me daily and its the best tool you will ever invest in.

Comment

It is without a doubt a necessary purchase if you intend to be serious about your work, about optimizing your time, but also about making the work enjoyable.

I have the Intuos3 6x8.

Comment

I would recommend Bamboo fun tablet. it's too good.

If you have more lower budget that go with i-Ball.

Ash

Comment

Any difference between the Bamboo and Bamboo fun?
                If you already have a mouse (deuh!) and some photoshop(-like) software?

Comment

Originally posted by frank williams View Post
                  Was wondering if i should buy a wacom tablet?
                  Regards frank williams
                  FUCK YES

Get one, get used to it, and then let us know if you think if you didnt have it.

Comment

Wacom-only if you ask me. They are THAT much better than any other tablet. Wacom is known solely for their tablets and there's a reason for that. They ARE the best! Anyway, even a 6x8 Intuos2 would suit you well for retouching. I have a 6x8 2 and a 6x8 3 and I've always loved them both. You also need a pretty high-end computer when using a tablet to avoid lag, but other than that, getting use to it is the only issue anyone usually has. The *bonus* (in my opinion) with using the tablet is when you're doing something like dodging or burning at 10%, you also have the pressure sensitivity of the wacom to reduce the amount when you need to. They're great, and for $200-$300 max, you will be more than happy with your spending.

Comment

YES! They are great!

dc

Comment

It has saved my hands. (RSI)
                        I use a wacom with my right hand and the mouse in my left (I am right handed) for things like levels etc And thank goodness for key short cuts!

Like the others have said, it can take a little while to get used too, so give yourself a few days before writing it off. Once you are used to using one, you'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atom Kat View Post
                          Like the others have said, it can take a little while to get used too, so give yourself a few days before writing it off.
                          No, it's USED right when you open the packaging!

Comment

I love my Intuos II tablet. The one essential accessory is the airbrush pen. It is perfect for dodging ang burning, enhancing lighting effects, etc.

It taskes some getting used to, but once you do, you'll realize that a tablet and pen tool is much better for retouching than rolling a marble (or laser) around your desktop.

Cheers,

Mitch

Comment

I have a wacom intuos3 12x19. Amazing I tell ya. Ever have the feeling you want to just take a picture out of the screen....and just tap a little shadow here and there or lightly dodge something...thats how i would say it feels with that tablet and pen. I think its really cool, although I have to say, I used to have a BAMBOO fun medium, and its just not the same as a 12x19. =P But it still does the job.

Comment