how was this done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how was this done?

Looks like either high contrast black & white treatment or some HDR or similar filter or a combination of both.

Comment

can i get specific steps

Comment

people also say that its how the picture is initially that determines how good it will come out.

how should my subject be lighted?

Comment

Today, with digital SLR's, not too many are shooting black & white. Some are though. But, the majority are converting to b&w later. There are many, many ways to do it and none are standard. It is as much an artists touch as anything, and often it is a lot of experimentation. There are third party utilities with presets that can get you close. However, many feel this is cheating. So, we develop our own workflows to produce the results we like as a photographer.

So, experiment, enjoy it, and be creative !

Comment

thanks, but im not really talking about the black and white effect.

im talking about the hdrish look but i know it's not hdr is it?

Comment

It's not HDR at all. That's why I refer to it as b&w. Styles and tastes of the general public change. Today, this style has appeal. 15 years ago it did not. It is still just b&w development... although easier and faster in the digital age.

Comment

Good lens, good camera, good lighting, polarized filter outdoors, practice cubed, PLUS a complete read and good understanding of this thread: Tutorial 05: Converting a Color Image to Black and White grayscale BW

Comment

Looks to me like the dragon effect and then a black white conversion. Tommy is right, the black white filter in Photoshop or Lightroom is amazing and I believe it is what you are seeing. Normaly it is difficult to get a real HDR of a sky with clouds or a person because they both move.

Comment

I've just happened to try the same retouching style as you are looking for. Well for me at least it looks like the same
                    here is the crop from the photo. Let me know if you want me to share the workflow.
                    The photo is not the best example for such retouch but I was just trying if it's working
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by skauskas View Post
                      I've just happened to try the same retouching style as you are looking for. Well for me at least it looks like the same
                      here is the crop from the photo. Let me know if you want me to share the workflow.
                      The photo is not the best example for such retouch but I was just trying if it's working

Looks awesome please share your workflow!!!!!

Comment

1. Choose the right photo. Because my photo is the worst for this kind of retouching))) It great works for old people or any pictures where you can get as much details as you can get.
                        2. Make all basic adjustments for picture like removing color casts, cloning out some unwanted details etc.
                        3. Image-Adjustment-Black and White-Maximum black
                        4.High Pass to bring out details
                        5.Filter-Blur-Gaussian Blur to create soft glow. Blending Mode - Overlay
                        6.New Adjustment Layer-Gradient Map. Select black-and-white gradient. Make adjustments to gradient if needed
                        7. Group the layers, copy background layer and place it on the top of the group.
                        8.Doing the same for the whites. Image-Adjustments-Black and White-Maximum White
                        9. High Pass (I put the same value as for blacks)
                        10. Blur (see step #5)
                        11. Gradient map - double click on gradient and make adjustment to bring out "light parts" of the photo
                        12. Group all "whites" layers, add black mask and with white soft brush reveal which needs to be lightened up
                        that's pretty much it
                        would love if you show your results

Comment

I have attached my examples of before and after. Not sure if it is correct.

Is it basically convert original photo to B&W using Max Black then Converting the original using Max White. Then using a hide all mask and painting in to reveal dark/light areas?

Thanks for looking

B
                          Attached Files

Comment

what about high pass and blur? doesn't look like you applied those filters

Comment

Do you apply them on separate layers? Or is just the gradient adjustment a different layer?

are steps 3, 4 and 5 of your workflow on separate layers? Do you create a background copy, then do blur?

I guess I cannot follow your workflow. Can you post your layers etc?

Thanks for your help Skauskas

B
                              Last edited by bgouler; 10-26-2008, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X