touch up a photo, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touch up a photo, please help

I'm just new in retouching photos for magazine.
    And I'm struggling.

Can you guys help me to retouch this photo for magazine cover?
    It's a local model here in cambodia.
    heres a hires copy of the photo.

Id appreciate it so much, thanks

Re: touch up a photo, please help

anyone want to help?

Comment

of course we can! what kind of problem in retouching this photo do you have?

Comment

this sounds like it should be a paid job...

Comment

Originally posted by Sinisa View Post
          this sounds like it should be a paid job...
          exactly!

Comment

awts!
            anyway, thanks for the replies, id appreciated it.
            i just got a little time, anyway, i'll just try to retouch it following the tutorials here!

Thx!

Comment

I dont understand... if you new to retouching, how did you get a job for a mag as a retoucher... I dont understand what the real problem is, the photo is not bad... it shouldnt be that hard to fix. The only problem may be the actual size of the image being small. But I see good detail and model has good skin

Secondly, every mag has there own style and someone just editing the picture without direction is just shooting in the dark. Past covers or guidence would help here.

Lastly, I agree, it does not sound like your asking for help, more of a favor. If this was for you or a family member I would try may hand. But as this is going to be a cover for a mag... something that is going to make you or someone money... this should have some sort of compensation.

I'll try editing it later for fun... but im only going to post a small thumbnail.

-Keven

Comment

OK it’s finally done... I think. Honestly I did too much to say it all... As I asked for DIRECTION and never got any, I just did what I felt looked good.

Let me know what you all think. Comments welcome.

I did two versions, one regular and the other sepia. The originals below are there for comparison reasons. There a bit soft from the output reduction.

-Keven
                Attached Files
                Last edited by igot2pman; 12-18-2008, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Hi, sorry, been busy!
                  Firstly thank you very much for what you did for the photo.
                  Im not a retoucher in the mag, im just a layout artist, layouting spreads. i was just ask if i could edit/retouch the cover photo, so that it looks good when printed. but im very new to retouching portrait photo for magazine, and i dont have the time at the moment to study tutorials, but im on it now, just struggling

about the retouching of the photo, you can retouch whatever you like, i just need a some ideas how did you that, so i can also practice it. a workflow, so that i will follow it on our every cover. thanks a lot

and...hmmm.. can you give me a hires copy of the sepia one, a psd perhaps, so that i can study it. can i?
                  a huge favor!

Comment

How about something like that?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Manta1900,

Good job. Assuming this is a female mag???, very good choice on the background. Just a suggestion, you might want to take out some of those stray hairs. Just sample your background color and paint over them (assuming your background is even and not gradient). Very simple and quick.

I like the pink hilights, good detail work.

-Keven

Comment

ch33sewiz,

I’m afraid that I am not going to post a PSD... like we said; if you stand to make money off of it, then it’s not for free...

But as this is a place of learning, I will post my layers pallet. I learned everything I did here from this forum. So recreating it should be no problem if you take the time and participate.

Every step below except for the main folders is an action I made. Each one has a purpose and has its strengths and weaknesses. I will answer questions about what they do but not how to get the effect. Most of them are simple.

The main thing that makes my image better is the D&B. Everything else is mostly for lighting and healing. By the way, everything was done non-destructively (even the sharpening). You can go back and edit any layer and affect the global picture.

-Keven
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by igot2pman; 12-18-2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

The Photographer has a $4000 camera I would imagine he has aquired some PP skill's to go along with his photography skill's. He may consider doing the retouch for free especially if he knows that if he don't someone may slaughter his picture.

I will not sell an unprocessed photo for this reason. I don't want someone to make a mess of my picture and then put it on display...Someone may think it was I who screwed up.

Now Don't get me wrong, I can mess up a photo just as bad as anybody. But if I'm the one that did it then I can live with that.

But if I'm not the one that did it...I don't want that photo to represent me.

Also out of curiosity what is the cover size of your magazine? If it's simular to the USA it makes for a bit of an wierd crop.
                          Last edited by neumanns; 12-17-2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

well i fixed a lot of things, without direction you just do what you think its the best for the model n the magazine, here is my attempt to make the model look more magazine worthy... hope u like it...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ch33sewiz View Post
                              anyone want to help?
                              Maybe if you actually post the photo you're on about.
                              Without it you're on your own.

Comment