Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glossy Skin

Hi there,

I looking for a solution to create a glossy skin - the model on the photo has no glossy makeup. She has now more or less a smooth light skin. The smaller picture shows the direction it should end up. Contrast should be enhanced, too. Any tipps?

Thank you
    Rame
    Attached Files

Re: Glossy Skin

Rame, Welcome to RetouchPRO
    There are tutorials here at RetouchPRO that will help you in your quest but proper lighting initially, would avoid a lot of Post work!

A couple tutorials that might help are:

That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

and the one I used for this sample:

Wet Skin
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 0lBaldy View Post
      There are tutorials here at RetouchPRO that will help you in your quest but proper lighting initially, would avoid a lot of Post work!

Wet Skin
      First of all: thank you! :-)

The client´s mind changes from day to day :-)

I have the Dior tutorial already but I was not sure if it is the right basis...the second one and your result seem to be a great way :-)

Thanks again!
      Rame

Comment

Wet Skin
        After a couple of attempts...your´s look way better - did you blur the skin? Do you have a screenshot of the PS Palette?

Comment

Originally posted by rame View Post
          did you blur the skin? Do you have a screenshot of the PS Palette?
          I am a hobbyist with limited storage space so I just play with them then dump em.. Sorry!
          But, I followed the tutorial to the letter using a blurred and increased contrast copy of the blue channel for the two masks and adjusted the curves in both the light and dark layers after applying the luminosity masks..

Did I Blur?... Yes, I used "Imagenomic Portraiture" to knock off some of the harshness and soften the face just a bit, then masked back in the hair, lips and eyes..
          That is the only thing different that I added to the Tutorial!

OOPS! forgot that I also Painted the lips black on a new softlight layer and adjusted the opacity down to about 40%... and took some blue out of the whites of the eyes and Dodge&Burned the Iris's some! That's ALL!!
          Last edited by 0lBaldy; 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM. Reason: added some info

Comment

I am a hobbyist with limited storage space so I just play with them then dump em.. Sorry!
            But, I followed the tutorial to the letter using a blurred and increased contrast copy of the blue channel for the two masks and adjusted the curves in both the light and dark layers after applying the luminosity masks..
            Ah, I think this is the step I did not understand. The tutorial was not clear for me here - why do I make this blue channel thing and what do I do with it... :-?

Comment

Ah, I think this is the step I did not understand. The tutorial was not clear for me here - why do I make this blue channel thing and what do I do with it... :-?
              Did you see all the other stuff I added to my other post after I posted?

The blue channel is applied as the mask for the light and dark curves layers.. saving you a lot of painting to get the highlights or shadows you want.. It acts as a sort of pre-painted D&B mask

Comment

the only additional painting on the mask that I did was to bring back the hair, and eyes that were bleached out on the light curves layer

Comment

Did you see all the other stuff I added to my other post after I posted?
                  I think so

The blue channel is applied as the mask for the light and dark curves layers.. saving you a lot of painting to get the highlights or shadows you want.. It acts as a sort of pre-painted D&B mask
                  So, I do load the adjusted blue layer copy as a mask and apply them to both of the adjustmentlayers as a layer mask, right?

In the tutorial the blue channel mask is not used again as far as I see :-?
                  Last edited by rame; 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

yep! on apply masks

Comment

Did a different softer version just to show the steps a little more clearly..
                      (There are a few combined layers just to show some steps that would normally be hidden/combined)

Hope this helps some..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Did a different softer version just to show the steps a little more clearly..
                        (There are a few combined layers just to show some steps that would normally be hidden/combined)

Hope this helps some..
                        Thanks a lot - and there is already one question:

the mask of the darker layer is an inverted blue channel mask, right?

but the light mask is "something else" :-)
                        When I invert the mask of the dark layer I do not get a result like this...or is it inverted and the former white zones are painted black?

Any idea what I´m doing wrong?

Comment

Thanks a lot - and there is already one question:

the mask of the darker layer is an inverted blue channel mask, right?

but the light mask is "something else" :-)
                          When I invert the mask of the dark layer I do not get a result like this...or is it inverted and the former white zones are painted black?

Any idea what I´m doing wrong?
                          Blue channel.. hold down Ctrl, click on thumbnail to make selection (after selection is made, make sure RGB is selected in channels menu)
                          back to layers menu
                          click create new fill/adjustment layer
                          Select Curves (The mask should show up as the blue channel) This will be the light curves layer... paint on the mask with black to cover the hair and eyes
                          Shft+Ctrl+D (Reselect)
                          Select Curves (The mask should show up as the blue channel) This will be the Dark curves layer
                          Ctrl+I (invert mask)

Adjust curves layers to bring out the highlights and shadows
                          Also can paint on the masks as needed (as in bringing the hair back like stated above)

Comment

Blue channel.. hold down Ctrl, click on thumbnail to make selection (after selection is made, make sure RGB is selected in channels menu)
                            back to layers menu
                            Select Curves (The mask should show up as the blue channel) This will be the light curves layer... paint on the mask with black to cover the hair and eyes
                            Shft+Ctrl+D (Reselect)
                            Select Curves (The mask should show up as the blue channel) This will be the Dark curves layer
                            Ctrl+I (invert mask)

Adjust curves layers to bring out the highlights and shadows
                            Also can paint on the masks as needed (as in bringing the hair back like stated above)
                            Thank you! I was on the right track :-)

Comment