Photoshop and the RAW format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop and the RAW format

I've got a question that has been nagging me for quite a while now. It's about the RAW format and how it is handled by Adobe Camera RAW and Photoshop CS4.

When you load a RAW file into Photoshop, does it retain the same extended editing capabilities like it would in ACR, or does it get compressed or downsampled?

The reason I'm asking is that while I try to do most of my global adjustments in ACR, I prefer to use Photoshop for fine-tuning and artistic effects. Things like converting to black and white, adding tints, fine-tuning contrast with curves, adding targeted adjustments using adjustment layers and masks, dodge & burn, etc.

With the new Camera RAW out, it has many features that mimic those available in Photoshop, especially the spot removal, gradient and adjustment brushes. Problem is, these tools are much more clumsy and difficult to use compared to Photoshop.

Like for example, you can use the adjustment brush in ACR to do dodging and burning and localised tone adjustments, and you can use the spot removal tool for cleanup work. I've heard many people say that you have to do all you can while you're in ACR and load the file into Photoshop for the final little adjustments. Is there any benefit in doing adjustments in ACR that could be done much easily in Photoshop? How much does the quality of the final image suffer, if at all?

Re: Photoshop and the RAW format

Open your RAW file as a Smart Object in Photoshop and you can get the best of both worlds, because you can go back to ACR and make further adjustments after opening in PS, assuming you work with layers and such correctly.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• santajuana
      question on photoshop RAW.....
      by santajuana
      I want to know if anyone has used a photoshop RAW extension, you know... save as... photoshop RAW...

Is it reliable? i've always worked with TIFF, PSD or JPG images when i give back a retouched final image and someone asked me to give back a RAW file, so i searched and i only found that...
      08-30-2008, 03:11 PM
    • shoreboy
      Back to basics
      by shoreboy
      I was watching a video about PS CC for photographers and the instructor was saying that, at this point in time, it makes more sense to do color, contrast, tone, etc. adjustments to an image with the Camera RAW filter than opening up a bunch of panels such as Curves, Levels, etc. to do the same adjustments....
      02-02-2015, 08:10 PM
    • rayi23
      Using Raw formats
      by rayi23
      Hello. I am a novice to Digital Photography and recently purchased a Nikon D3100. I do have a knowledge of Photoshop and currently using CS5 & CS4. I am trying to get the hang of using RAW format. I have been reading about it but I keep getting confused. So far it makes sense to me to use RAW but...
      04-29-2011, 08:30 AM
    • CJ Swartz
      Adobe Camera Raw does even more than I knew
      by CJ Swartz
      I've been using Photoshop since version 3 back in the early '90's, and I'm used to the fact that I still am learning it. I enjoy finding a new technique or a new way of applying a change within Photoshop. I started using Camera Raw a few years ago, but used it initially just as a way of converting my...
      06-11-2010, 12:28 AM
    • chauncey
      Photo-art: Can I do it in RAW? (RAW ? from newbee)
      by chauncey
      I'm briefly back;

Can I do everything in paint shop pro XI.II working entirely in RAW and if my goal is only photo "painting", do I need to?
      01-29-2007, 05:03 PM
    Working...
    X