Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking help to correct colors

Hi All,

I've been a member for a while although I've been mostly a reader. My motorcycle projects have had me quite busy since I've joined and my digital photography has suffered greatly because of that.

For friends and family I like to restore photos and I think I do a pretty good job at fixing the scratches, tears and such. But, to be honest I'm partialy color blind and I have a horrific time correcting the colors. As long as the photo is not too far off I can usually do some color touch-up and contrast adjustments.

However, I have a photo I restored, but the colors were horribly faded. I've tried my best but I just can't get the colors correct. Seriously, I could use some major help fixing these colors. I can tell they are over saturated but since working with colors is such a difficult thing for me I'm really stuck getting this fixed. It's just beyond my capabilities.

For photo editing I've been using Paint Shop Pro and now that my laptop crashed I loaded Linux on it so I've only got GIMP to work with.

If someone could correct this photo and point me in the correct direction on what you did that would be awesome!

Click here for the Full Sized Image

Re: Seeking help to correct colors

Difficult but this is my best so far, it could be better but not me who can do it better.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1...825aec21do.jpg

Comment

It looks like your linked photos have had much work already done to them. To get better advice why don't you post the original, unretouched photo here.
      To post photos here look at this link:http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...ads-posts.html

This photo looks colorized and the background looks replaced.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yup, I did about as much work as possible. the original image was in horrific shape, faded inconsistantly across the image, tears, stains, holes... I had to redraw bits and pieces. The original image was much larger than my scanner and I had to scan it in several passes and piece it together. I started on the image last October and got stumped on the color portion. The skin tones were killing me. Being partially color blind has made fixing this photo a real problem.

I'll have to check if I have an original scan though. I think I have several versions of progression so hopefully I can find that and then post it later tonight.

Thanks all for your help.

Comment

OK, here's the original full sized image that I scanned in. It's actually two images that were merged. I'm attaching a MUCH reduced sized image seeing that there's just a 100K upload limit.

Original Large Sized Image
          Attached Files

Comment

Paultjack, I'm old so forgive me but I don't get it. The origional was 2 photos merged? Or do you mean you scanned the same image twice and then blended them?

Comment

The original photo was larger than my scanner. I had to scan the left and right side of the image and then merge them together. This is the worst photo to restore I've had to work on yet.

Comment

Oh OK I get it. Here is my try.
                Attached Files

Comment

I don't use PSP so no advise here for you..
                  Just thought I would give it a try with a lot of trial and error on my part and like you... I was just guessing on the colors.. below is a conglomeration of a lot of layers, masks, color corrections, levels, curves, etc.. with no particular work flow
                  Attached Files

Comment

What the heck. My try.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice colors Flashtones. The blue background is a nice touch.

Comment

Here is my quick go at this. This is mostly levels adjustment, and a quick repair of the damaged areas. I prefer to keep this kind of photos as close to the original with out adding my own interpretation to it as much as possible.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by crazyfly1 View Post
                          Nice colors Flashtones. The blue background is a nice touch.
                          Thanks, crazy. This was actually my first concerted effort at a restoration type project. I found getting believable hair to be quite challenging, especially the blond color. I guess less saturation is the way to go?

Comment

Well I started from the original and like others there were a lot of steps. I did not replace the background but cleaned it up some. I also cloned some fabric on the boy's right arm
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks all for your input and efforts! I really do know how much work it is to try and correct this photo. It's been bugging me for a while that I couldn't find the right combinations of adjustments. So far I'm leaning towards the coloring Flashtones has provided. I like his skin tones. I'll try and emulate that with my larger photo now that I have something to compare.

Most adjustments I tried led me to feel like the photo was a Rotoscope. Without any real detail in the skin everything ends up looking chartoonish. I might try to apply some skin texture to the images to see if that improves the look a little too.

This photo has been a real pain for me and I really appreciate all of the efforts you've put into it helping me.

Comment

Working...
                              X