Color or Black and White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color or Black and White

How can I find out if a photo is color or black and white? It looks like a color photo but I'm not sure. I appreciate some info. Thanks.

Gerald

Re: Color or Black and White

Do you mean that you think it 'was' a black and white and someone has colored it? as it cant be both.

Comment

Gerald, if we knew which postprocessing software you use, it would be easier to advice. For the first look you could search a function like "desaturate" and work your way from there...If you posted an example, it will be easier still

Comment

Gerald,
        There are a number of ways to do that. Since your previous posts seem to indicate you have Photoshop, one easy means would be to just examine the channels.
        - a true b&w will have identical information in each channel;
        - if a b&w were simply scanned in color, the channels will be nearly identical;
        - if the original was color, the channels should have fairly significant differences.

You may also want to try pumping up the saturation in the colors and just examine the image afterward. If the color comes out in mostly normal areas, it was likely a color image. If it seems to come out where older images were painted (like cheeks only) then it may have been hand painted.... and so on.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Gerald McClaren
          Is this photo black and white or color?
          by Gerald McClaren
          I would like to know if this photo is a black and white or color, and what is the original color of the background.

Gerald...
          02-20-2007, 12:06 PM
        • Gerald McClaren
          60 year old color or black and white photo
          by Gerald McClaren
          Is there a simple technique to determine if a 60 year old photo is color or black and white? The photo is someone great, great, grandfather. The whole photo has a yellowish color over it, and it is hard to tell if it was once a color or black and white.

Gerald McClaren
          11-20-2007, 10:26 PM
        • nazca13
          color a black and white
          by nazca13
          take any color image duplicate it and switch the
          copy to lab mode and use the L channel
          to color back the same colors but
          it doesn't work. yes I switch the l channel
          back to rgb mode

I know to add a new layer in color
          mode and paint in this layer but...
          03-27-2013, 07:17 AM
        • scw1217
          Re-colored photograph
          by scw1217
          I just liked how this one turned out and thought I would share. FYI I used Adobe Photoshop, Channel Mixer to create the BW. I then made an empty layer and used a brush on the color. I then set the layer on "Overlay".

07-09-2003, 06:33 PM
        • LensCap
          Stains and wrinkles and mildew...oh my!
          by LensCap
          Here's an old photo that has it all. I am a bit stumped as to where to start.
          The damage all seems to be mingled together.
          I would appreciate some suggestions, both for repair technique and workflow on this one....
          01-16-2009, 06:33 AM
        Working...
        X