Increasing Saturation Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Saturation Technique

I've been wanting to find a technique that would increase overall saturation, but in a good way (if that makes sense).

I found a way that I think is in the right direction, may not be best, but it's a start.

Try the following...

1. Duplicate image to a new layer
    2. Desaturate duplicated image layer
    3. Apply Image
    -SOURCE
    --Layer: Background
    --Channel RGB
    -TARGET
    --Blending: Subtract
    OK
    4. Go to your Channels and Apple select the RGB channel to make a mask
    5. Go back to your layers and delete your Applied Image layer
    6. With the mask still active create an Hue/Saturation adjustment layer
    7. Increase saturation to taste

Like I said this route needs to be perfected but it's going somewhere - anyone like to comment / offer suggestions?

Re: Increasing Saturation Technique

How about a before/after of your image using your process

Comment

Originally posted by vapour View Post
      I've been wanting to find a technique that would increase overall saturation, but in a good way (if that makes sense).
      What do you mean by "good way"? What are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

Well if you were to simply apply a Hue / Saturation adjustment layer over the entire image and increase saturation the difference feels cheap. So in a sense, and sorry if words fail me here, I want to only bring out the good colors.

I do not want to bring out color in shadows because that would lead to color casts. Obviously you want to color correct your image in the first place before increasing saturation. And then I do not think I would want to increase saturation in the highlights because you really want to leave those alone as well.

So for me, its finding the correct mask to increase saturation to.

Comment

Sounds interesting, would love to see the result. And if you ever create an action for it I'd love to try it out.

Comment

I just provided the process, probably takes 2 mins... are none of you willing to actually try it and then comment?

Comment

Here is a before and after...
              Attached Files

Comment

If you are using Photoshop the easiest and most accurate way would be to use Luminosity masks as described here: http://www.goodlight.us/writing/lumi...tymasks-1.html

Amica has made an action to make available ALL the Luminosity masks, available here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/blogs/amica999/ (as the action runs there might be a Pop-Up that states that "No pixels are more than 50% selected" just keep clicking OK when it shows up)

With this action Luminosity masks are created for Lights, Darks and Midtones. To use the mask: Control-Click on the mask you want in the channel pallet and back in the Layers palette add a new Curves Adjustment layer OR whichever adjustment Layer you want to use- this will load the selection in the AL mask. Now you can adjust your tones.

Comment

Off topic, but I love that St. Vincent album.

Comment

Originally posted by 0lBaldy View Post
                    If you are using Photoshop the easiest and most accurate way would be to use Luminosity masks as described here: http://www.goodlight.us/writing/lumi...tymasks-1.html
                    @Badly
                    I am well aware of making luminosity masks and Tony's tutorials; they are the opposite of what I am wanting to make, if you read my post. I do not want to increase color saturation in shadows or lights.

@eraanexact
                    Me too

Comment

@Badly
                      I am well aware of making luminosity masks and Tony's tutorials; they are the opposite of what I am wanting to make, if you read my post. I do not want to increase color saturation in shadows or lights.

@eraanexact
                      Me too
                      Then use a midtone luminosity mask. Or combine a highlight and shadow mask and invert it.

I haven't tried your technique yet but from your sample it appears to be adding saturation to the already most saturated parts of the image. In which case you could make a saturation mask and invert it, or not, depending on what you want it to do.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/blo...ed-posted.html

But if what you are doing works best, that's cool too. Thanks for sharing it. I'll try it when I get a chance. What types of images do you find it best for?

Comment

@Badly <insert> (Must have been a Freudian slip.. tis Baldy)</insert>
                        To me, if you "do not want to increase color saturation in shadows or lights" that would leave Midtones and seeing as you know all about Luminosity masks I guess having 4 different Midtone luminosity masks that you also have the ability to fine tune are going to serve no purpose at all for you ..

BTW using your method on your sample 'before' I saw no discernible difference.. and did not get the bright yellow on the blouse as you did.. but that could well be because of the low resolution

On one of my pictures it did bring up a very subtle increase in saturation of the reds..

I did find that I had much better control and could fine tune the results better using the Midtone Luminosity masks

Soooo.... as to your first post in the thread

anyone like to comment / offer suggestions?
                        I guess I am just to Old and dense for it to make any sense to me.. so I will not clutter your thread with any more comments

Sorry I could be of no help to you... I do hope you get things worked out to your satisfaction and get better suggestions from the other members here

Good Luck! Peace Out!

Comment

Originally posted by 0lBaldy View Post
                          Sorry I could be of no help to you... I do hope you get things worked out to your satisfaction and get better suggestions from the other members here Good Luck! Peace Out!
                          As we all know there are more ways then one to skin a cat in Photoshop so creating a mid-tone mask may be the same as to what I am doing or what I am suggesting we get to. And sorry to sound as if I was shutting you out - I'm just antsy to learn something I don't already know or have light shed on a different area that's dark to me.

I guess at the end of the day my question would be is, what is a high-end way of increase saturation as oppose to just going into Hue/Saturation? Because we all know Photoshop was made so that we could break it.

Comment

I think you're missing a step in your description: You have to check Invert in your Apply Image window. Otherwise you get nothing but black (at least on my attempt at your technique).

If I'm following your steps correctly, all you're really doing is increasing saturation in the mid to highlight areas. If that's the case, you could simply duplicate a channel and darken the shadows and use that as your saturation mask.

You might play with duplicating a channel and Solarizing it, then using that as your saturation mask. This will basically allow you to isolate mid tones.

The "high-end" way to increase saturation is to use Curves, which requires a good understanding of color.

Scott

Comment

Would you use Curves with the mask you are talking about to increase saturation.

Comment