smart objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smart objects

Does anyone use smart objects as part of their workflow. Are the claimed quality improvements worth the effort? Thanks in advance,regards Max

Re: smart objects

What quality improvements do you speak of? I haven't found a way to apply smart objects to my workflow other than if I would like to keep the original crop...

Comment

There's no quality improvements that I can think of. Using smart objects just gives you more options. The 'quality' issue you've heard about, probably refers to reducing the size of something and then deciding to increase it again, while still retaining the quality of the original, rather than a pixellated mess. This would only be possible with smart objects as it keeps all the elements safe.

Comment

For me smart objects are a must because I often try something out and change it afterwards again, so if I don't want to do my settings over and over again or if I just want to change one filter, its much faster than doing everything again from the scratch.
        By the way, you can also change the color mode and profile in a smart object so it's sometimes helpful for working in LAB or CMYK too.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have been going through Ron Bigelow's video's on the subject http://ronbigelow.com/videos/videos.ht and he make's a compelling case. I have come across similar comments elsewhere Regards Max.

Comment

I use smart objects on a every day basis. Every file I work on has one... at least.

Chris

Comment

I was hoing someone of your statue would come in on this Chris. What I want to know is do you believer it gives you better quality and how do you use them.

Comment

They're the easiest way to adjust destructive filter settings. (sharpening, blurring, etc.)

Comment

How do you CROP images as smart objects?... I mean the way you can go back to the previous crop later.

Comment

When cropping smart objects nothing can be deleted so you can always go to "Image"-"Reveal all" to bring back the original state.

Comment

smart objects don't have anything to do with image quality.. they are just helpful tools to allow you to work non-destructive and quickly. A smart object will allow you to remember the original raw settings or filter settings therefore throughout your workflow it is constantly adjustable without destroying pixels. If you duplicate a smart object all the updates you make to the original smart object will affect the duplicated smart objects.

Comment

namphoto that's pretty much how I understand it. But by not destroying any pixels throughout the edit wouldn't you end up with a better quality image. Regards Max

Comment

Smart Objects have many uses, not many to do with quality.

• Using the benefits of different blend modes CMYK, LAB within a single document. These are of course still 'destructive' conversions, but they allow a flexibility that was not available before they came in.
                          • Smart objects can be used as instances. So a change to any single instance will reflect in all the others - useful for many things if you think it through.
                          • Whenever there's a 'not sure' in a document, (res changes or even filters) that's when you need a smart object.

Comment

Thanks for that Markzebra. One question though...do you have to bring the file photoshop as a smart object then convert to a normal layer on top of the background to preserve the image info or do you convert as you go to use filters etc. Max

Comment

Don't understand the question sorry

Comment