Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color Correction and Retouching...what come first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Correction and Retouching...what come first?

Hi again

i've decided to post this issue in different post for others to find this information quickly.

i confused what come first, color correction or retouching? color correction or shaping and contouring? and of course ...why ?

Thinks
    S

Re: Color Correction and Retouching...what come fi

I think you would get your base image colour corrected 1st so you know what you're working with. e.g White & Black Points. Then I would do the retouching, then I would add whetever fx to it later.

Thats just me tho.

Comment

I do color correction from the raw, then work on the image and then some finl corrections at the end.

How's supposed to be? No idea... there's really no rules with workflow it comes down to personal preference.

x

Comment

I do some color correction, then the retouch, then more color, and dependant on what happens more of both Whatever you like basically.

Comment

Have a look at a book called.

Welcome To Oz By Vincent Versace.

It's slightly advanced but it taught me a good understanding of workflow...

Comment

Hey there,
            For me- absolutely, without a doubt color correction comes first, then shaping if needed, and last but certainly not least - retouching.
            reason for this kind of priority is:
            - when you color correct your image, you remove some imperfections , by just adjusting darks, highlights or midtones, removing color cast, etc. on the other hand you might stumble to an extra blemish, and you don’t want to do an extra retouching after you retouched the whole thing.
            - shaping – same thing, plus – while shaping you will alter the texture of whatever you reshaping (skin, fabrics, backgrounds), so you would HAVE you retouch that spot anyways.

Comment

Agreed with CyberCat.

Comment

I retouch then color correct.

Reason being is that the client may change there mind and want a warmer photo as oppose to a cooler photo or whatever and so if there was any skin retouching that was done on top of the color changes you would have to redo them.

Comment

If your color adjustments are on separate layers does it really matter?

I like to get a shot "in the ballpark" first with tonal and color adjustments, just so that I find it pleasant to look at it. But those layers can always be turned off to see what things look like without them. seems like the best of both worlds.

And of course the tonal/color tweaks can take minutes to make while the details take hours. The idea is to keep moving the image forward in terms of what we want it to look like. No point in keeping it ugly as long as possible. ;-)

Comment

I color correct firstm the do the retouching and, because retouhcing means changing lot of stuff, I do the accurated color correction at the end.

Comment

color then retouch

Comment

Retouch (dodge and burn), then color correct to fix the aberrant hues.

Comment