How to achieve this effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to achieve this effect?

I have really enjoyed looking at everyone's work here and learning some new things, but I still haven't quite found how to make my pictures look like these:

http://www.skyejohansen.com/

I absolutely LOVE Skye's pictures and love the brightness in their skin. Do you think this has a lot to do with her lighting, or mostly just photoshop? I have studio lighting, and I haven't figured out how she only uses one light to get such nice light. (Or is it not just one, I am just guessing because there's only one catch light in their eyes.)

Anyway, does anyone have any advice for good work flow to achieve this smooth, bright skin, or any tutorials to point me to? I've looked at so many different posts that if I had seen something I wouldn't remember where to find it.

Thanks for your help!!

Re: How to achieve this effect?

Anyone? Do you think part of it is a curves layer?

What do you think of the curves adjustment they did in this tutorial?

http://www.dphotojournal.com/photosh...y-bw-portrait/

I was playing with that on a few of my pictures and I think it got closer, but does anyone have any other suggestions? (doesn't have to be to the extent of professional beauty type editing)

Comment

Looks like highkey processing and toning were done. So many ways to do all of these that I'm relunctant to pass links, but the GIMP link below may be of some help.

http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/SampleToning/

For Highkey, I just did a search and found this article (like I said; many ways, but this one looked cool and pretty much applies to GIMP too (but is PS centric).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16712...us.html?tk=rss

Comment

My first thought was that a channel mixer adjustment layer was used with the "Monochrome"-box checked and the red channel brought up to 100%. That in "Luminosity"-mode along with some "Filter"-"Blur"-"Surface Blur" should do the trick.
        Maybe the skin was masked as well and the blues were cut off in the highlights to achieve this yellowish look?

Comment

I agree with lkroll about shooting high key.
          1. Start with a good quality image, and shot with a large aperture to blur out the background.
          2. Shoot a high key style image. Slightly Warm tone white balance.
          3. Sharpen, but not to much.
          4. Selectively adjust select colors.
          5. Add a curves layer
          Red: 32,0 255,255
          Green:15,0 245,255
          Blue: 36,0 216,255

The curves layer will work with the current little boy picture . Further analysis showed this curves arrangement to be a basis for the photographers Sepia images. Below is what the curves layer should look like. I know the picture below is not high key, but that is an example of the effect.

[Edit*] Looking even further back at the the her work, you can see an evolution of her style. Even the curves layer started out simple. Her original sepia's were just a simple curves blue dragged from the center. It wasnt but, im guessing, 50 sessions ago that she started using this new more advanced curves.

Hope it helps,
          -Keven
          Attached Files
          Last edited by igot2pman; 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Wow, thanks for all your help! I wouldn't have figured out the color curves adjustment myself. I will play with my photos and see what I can come up with! I'll re-post one if I can get it to look good and see what you think.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Comment

Post what you come up with, always good to see where all of our advice is going.

-Keven

Comment

Due to the slightly blown out areas, I would agree a high key technique was used using various layers for certain areas of the image. Another simple method that I could suggest for those that have Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0, this type of look can be obtained by using the high key filter layered about 60 to 65% above the original image with a saturation adjustment after combining the two. The settings would vary with the image of course.
                Although it's rather apparent the photographs and lighting of the web site photographs certainly contribute to the end result of the images, I was able to come close with minimal effort using the Nik filters.

Comment

Here's my try using igot2pman's curve adjustment suggestions, plus a curve adjustment to brighten it a little. What do you think? Does it work? I think it got the same color feel. Mostly I just wanted to get the high-key (ish) feel, with brighter skin, but I think this was fun. I'll have to try it out with some of my studio pictures to see if they can look more like her work.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...lliams/1-5.jpg

Hope the link works.

Comment

How about the sepia? It looks totally different from when I've used actions to do sepia on my pics.

Comment

This sepia is more advanced than a normal color shift. It lifts the blacks and crushes the highlights. This means that the deepest blacks and brightest highlights are not maxed out. It also does a color shift of the shadows to a blue tone.

I like the composition of your picture, and I think the sepia looks good on it as well.

-Keven
                      Last edited by igot2pman; 01-05-2010, 01:41 AM.

Comment

So any idea how she achieves such nice sepia look, or even a way to make a black and white conversion that would have a similar look- with bright skin and a softer look than changing the curves to an S?

Comment

Same method i discussed above. But this time with a more high key image. I forced this image into high key With brightness Adj.

-Keven
                          Attached Files

Comment

K, after playing around forever I think I finally figured out what you mean! I've learned so much doing all this! I don't necessarily want to copy Skye's colors, but it was fun figuring out what she might do to get her color effects! Now I just need to figure out what MY style is! How close do you think I got to her muted color effect? Here:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...lliams/ani.jpg

And what about the sepia? Here:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/anisepia.jpg

I was looking at her header on this one and adjusting each color curve separately to try to match the balance of colors that she does.

Overall critique? Do you like the effect? I wish I could get my picture a little sharper, like hers, but I don't know if part of it is because I have an amature camera, or if it's just that I am the amature! Or maybe my amature photo editing... as long as I am improving, right?

Comment

Looking at my sepia one again, I think I could tone down the green channel a little bit, and the shadows might have a little too much blue, but overall, I think it looks fairly similar.

Comment