Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

    NOTE: I know this is not the right place to post this, but due that the TABLETS forum is like a ghost town, I'm obligated to post it here.

    Admins, please, let it be for some days.

    Thanks,

    Mart

    ----------

    Hi community, I'm attempting to buy a Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet and I need to know what's the difference between the large and the medium size. I have heard that there's a difference in the speed of the drag or something like that. I also have heard that the size will depend on the sizes of the images and monitor, stuff like that.

    I have a 21" monitor and I work mainly with pictures taken with 24mp cameras such Canon 5DMKII and mostly for fashion and beauty.

    Could you enlight me a bit what should I buy? Large or Medium?

    Thank you all,

    Mart

  • #2
    Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

    It does depend on the size of your monitor indeed. Think of it as a ratio between hand movement and cursor movement. If your tablet is 100% the size of your monitor, then, to move the cursor from one corner to the screen to the opposite one, you would have to move your hand... well, 21 inches (well, it also depends on resolution in this case, i dont know the resolution of a wacom tablet but i assume it tends to match your display's).

    Knowing that, it's a matter of how you have been trained. Are you a hand painter or an arm painter? People who come from fine arts are very comfortable when not resting their hands on the tablet, as they are used to moving their whole arm across the canvas while their hand floats over it. For people who have worked mainly with the mouse since their beginnings in digital arts, it is not hard for them to "re-size" the required mouse drag to move the cursor from place to place. Our brains take care of the math.

    I recommend you buy the medium tablet for it's a perfect "in between" size. You will have to move more than you do with a mouse, but not as much as for feeling like a beginner as you would with the large version. It's also better for your arm if you are gonna be working with it for long periods of time. You would also be saving some 150$... and it is more portable too. Trust me, it will not be a problem during your retouching/painting, as most of it will be done when zoomed into the image when the whole screen is displaying 200 or so pixels to be edited.

    Also, let me point out that I'm not an intuos4 user. I have an intuos3. I have heard that the intuos4 has a great papery feel when used with the pen. The problem with this (i have read in other forums), is that the pen nib doesn't last too long as the tablet's surface is almost like sanding paper. Some people have used some plastic film to cover the sensor area so that the nibs last more, but then the feel is lost. Nibs are expensive, and no, older pens do not work with the intuos4 (or viceversa). Just consider getting an intuos3... i know, the pen sucks compared to the intuos4 with it's amazing new pressure sensitivity, but that's some research you're gonna have to do.
    Last edited by flexmanta; 01-10-2010, 06:01 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

      Thanks for the very large and informative text, Flexmanta. I'm hand drawing then. I used to draw a lot, but I have 5 years without grabbing a pen. I will use the tablet just to D&B and do basic stuff such interacting with the interface of Photoshop, cloning and such. I know what you say about the duration of the pen nib because I bought the most cheapest Genius Tablet long time ago and used it just very few times and the nib pen dissapeared. I think that was because the price of the tablet (something around $65usd). Also, the performance was very, very bad. Primarily because the delay in the tablet's response and the absolutely innacurated/unnacurated flow of the pressure. Few years ago I tryed a very small Bamboo and the difference was very, very big with the Genius one, around 1 year ago, I tryed another Wacom (cannot remember which model), but medium size and it worked pretty fine. I couldn't try it very much because its owner is left handed and his workstation was all set to his needs but the tablet was without any configuration. Unfortunately, in my state there are not digital tablets, so I have to buy it before try it, and wait a couple of week in order to get it. When I get it I will post here what happened.

      Thanks,

      Mart

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

        Hi, I have used several Wacom tablets, and I think the "large" is intended for use with "wide" flat monitors, those with 9:16 or 10:16 ratio. to use with a CRT monitor (3:4) of 21", my preference goes to the A5 "normal" one. And for me, the intuos 3 has my preference. The papery feeling of the 4 is something I don't like, and it seems I'm not the only one! On another side, there is no comparison between Wacom and others. I simply cannot work without it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

          I've used a few different sizes and my preference is the Wacom medium tablet, for a few reasons. Currently I still use a Wacom Intuos 2 (with the original nib I might add), I like the freedom of the larger size. When working with the cordless Wacom mouse, it sits on an area similiar to a normal mouse pad in size (that uses no batteries). Of course you can change your mouse speed to compensate for screen size.

          All said and done, the main factor is your work area and if you have room for the medium size tablet. The outward dimensions of my tablet is about 13" X 10" with a workable area of 6" X 8", which is similiar to a small sketch pad (main reason for me). The new Intuos 4 is 14.6" X 10" outside dimensions, so work area is usually a factor depending on how you set it up. My setup is keeping my keyboard under my monitor and my Wacom on the sliding keyboard tray (or sometimes my lap). Been doing this for years and find it to be no problem and it is comfortable and natural for art work or retouching. I've never considered upgrading to a new medium tablet simply because my Intuos 2 works just fine. It has pressure sensitivity and works well with a light touch, just missing a few "bells and whistles". Seems it outlasted several computers

          My monitor size is 24", which for me is more relevant for photoshop and not necessarily a factor for a larger tablet size. Often I have two images open at one time and the increased size makes things a bit more convenient but not essential.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

            Originally posted by LQQKER View Post
            I've used a few different sizes and my preference is the Wacom medium tablet, for a few reasons. Currently I still use a Wacom Intuos 2 (with the original nib I might add), I like the freedom of the larger size. When working with the cordless Wacom mouse, it sits on an area similiar to a normal mouse pad in size (that uses no batteries). Of course you can change your mouse speed to compensate for screen size.

            All said and done, the main factor is your work area and if you have room for the medium size tablet. The outward dimensions of my tablet is about 13" X 10" with a workable area of 6" X 8", which is similiar to a small sketch pad (main reason for me). The new Intuos 4 is 14.6" X 10" outside dimensions, so work area is usually a factor depending on how you set it up. My setup is keeping my keyboard under my monitor and my Wacom on the sliding keyboard tray (or sometimes my lap). Been doing this for years and find it to be no problem and it is comfortable and natural for art work or retouching. I've never considered upgrading to a new medium tablet simply because my Intuos 2 works just fine. It has pressure sensitivity and works well with a light touch, just missing a few "bells and whistles". Seems it outlasted several computers

            My monitor size is 24", which for me is more relevant for photoshop and not necessarily a factor for a larger tablet size. Often I have two images open at one time and the increased size makes things a bit more convenient but not essential.
            So the medium size is the one you use and find it cool? It sounds pretty nice! I already paid for the medium tablet, but I can cancel the order and ask for a larger size if that one is better. I have enough room here for medium and large, or I will do the room. The tablet is the main thing!

            Thanks for your cool reply!

            Mart

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

              I use a medium format Wacom Intuos 4 for photoshop work.
              And yes, the pen nibs wear down quite fast.
              I think I need new nibs soon and a new coversheet as well.
              I was told by a store that there is a different surface (coversheet clear) for the tablet.
              But tec support wacom europe is not a big help in this case.
              Look at their own forum and you see what I am talking about.

              But even if I need more nibs and a new coversheet soon I think it is worth buying. (I had a intuos 2 before)
              The tablet has the precision mode, that allows to select even a single pixel in 100% mode. So I do not miss the larger format.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

                Originally posted by girlsfather View Post
                But even if I need more nibs and a new coversheet soon I think it is worth buying. (I had a intuos 2 before)
                The tablet has the precision mode, that allows to select even a single pixel in 100% mode. So I do not miss the larger format.
                Mmmhhh... What about the nib pen duration. Could you give me an aproximation of the duration? How many pictures you've retouched apporximately, till you found you would need a new nib?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

                  Medium Intuos4 with the coversheet that you mention seems to be the best option. The increased pen sensitivity levels is something I just can't ignore. Especially for D&B jobs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

                    Originally posted by flexmanta View Post
                    Medium Intuos4 with the coversheet that you mention seems to be the best option. The increased pen sensitivity levels is something I just can't ignore. Especially for D&B jobs.
                    What do you mean with that, Flexmanta. Is that good or bad?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

                      Originally posted by Quantum3 View Post
                      Mmmhhh... What about the nib pen duration. Could you give me an aproximation of the duration? How many pictures you've retouched apporximately, till you found you would need a new nib?
                      It depends on the pressure - I would estimate that every 2-5 days with 8 hours work in Photoshop I would need a new one.
                      In fact I got a shock when I looked at the pen nib, having used the brandnew tablet 2 days. I try to use less pressure - good for my wrist too.
                      But you should use the factory settings there, as in other settings of the pressure the response is not linear (you can see a visualisation in the tablet driver)
                      I decided to use the nibs even if the tip is almost flat.
                      O course that will harm the surface sooner or later.
                      But changing the coversheet is no big deal.
                      10 pen nibs cost more than one coversheet.
                      Once the coversheet is ruined I will get a new one together with new nibs (if it really exists ;-)) I take the one with less friction.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

                        Mmmmhhh... I really don't like that the nibs duration were so short! I cannot find a tablet in my state, imagine finding the parts such the covertsheet and the extra nibs!

                        What do you mean with

                        "I try to use less pressure - good for my wrist too.
                        But you should use the factory settings there".

                        What about the factory settings? Is that good or bad?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

                          Originally posted by Quantum3 View Post
                          What do you mean with that, Flexmanta. Is that good or bad?

                          I mean it's good. I was trying to put the main advantages with the only downside of it. Great great sensitivity against short durability of the nib. Seems that the solution is to plastic wrap the surface of the tablet.

                          If you notice with your current tablet, you can place a thin sheet of paper or plastic on your tablet and it will work perfectly. So, i would go ahead, ignore wacom's coversheet and just use some clear plastic film like the one used for laminating books or those plastic sheets they sell for color correcting flashes for photography (less rubbery than the ones for laminating books).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

                            Originally posted by flexmanta View Post
                            I mean it's good. I was trying to put the main advantages with the only downside of it. Great great sensitivity against short durability of the nib. Seems that the solution is to plastic wrap the surface of the tablet.

                            If you notice with your current tablet, you can place a thin sheet of paper or plastic on your tablet and it will work perfectly. So, i would go ahead, ignore wacom's coversheet and just use some clear plastic film like the one used for laminating books or those plastic sheets they sell for color correcting flashes for photography (less rubbery than the ones for laminating books).
                            Oh yeah, I know what kind of coverture you say. I hope the tablet doesn't frustrate me. I don't have $700usd every week to buy a new one. Unfortunately, I cannot buy something from USA due the rules from the US and Argentina, I saw it's half cheap in the US.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

                              Medium intuos4 at just under 400€ here in Spain. And we don't have rules against shipping to Argentina I guess.
                              http://www.fnac.es/Wacom-INTUOS4-M-P...To=0&Nu=3&Fr=0

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • PJS
                                Wacom tablets for PS CS help
                                by PJS
                                hi everyone, I am considering purchessing a wacom tablet, now the choises! Small sizes to 12X12, graphire to intos ??? Want to work on Photos in CS any suggestions? Can I use the smallest size 4x5 and do large areas?
                                05-03-2005, 01:17 PM
                              • Kristin
                                Aiptek Graphics Tablet 9x12
                                by Kristin
                                I just bought an Aiptek graphics tablet (9x12) in the states. I decided that it was a much less expensive investment than the $860 canadian price tag for the Wacom one. Does anyone use an Aiptek tablet? I literally just installed the software for it tonite so I could use any feedback anyone has to...
                                08-01-2002, 12:32 AM
                              • nebulaoperator
                                Need advice on buying Wacom tablet
                                by nebulaoperator
                                I have never used the tablet for retouching work but the more I learn the more I come across that people use tablet on the daily basis for retouching.Also it feels quiet silly when lots of D&B has to be done with my mouse. Click click click click....
                                I want to get something budget but...
                                03-03-2011, 07:01 PM
                              • themanda
                                Aiptek vs. Wacom
                                by themanda
                                Hello all! Thought I could finally contribute something useful to these great forums.

                                I've been exclusively using a Wacom Graphire II at work for the last two years. I love it, and find it extremely easy to use even with the limited surface area allowed.

                                My Christmas...
                                01-14-2003, 10:37 AM
                              • glikster
                                cheap tablet?
                                by glikster
                                Ok, here's the thing. I'm simply dying to get a Wacom tablet. Unfortunately, I can't rationalize to myself spending the money to get the 9x12 Intuos3 I really want. Or even the Intuos2 I'd love to have.
                                Is it worth looking for refurbished, or do they not wear well? Also, how easy is it to do...
                                01-26-2005, 06:04 AM
                              Working...
                              X