Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photoshop's 'Bicubic Sharper': good for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop's 'Bicubic Sharper': good for you?

I've been trained to use Bicubic Sharper when reducing an image in size. What I don't like is that is seems to over-sharpen my images, especially when I am going to a web resolution of around 500x333. I have been sticking with Bicubic (the default setting), and doing the standard, last step sharpening via a filter.

I do a lot of beauty and fashion retouching, and on those images, the last step sharpening that I do on the image is masked only into certain areas; I avoid sharpening skin textures that I worked hard on taming down, and it makes no sense to sharpen out of focus backgrounds. On those images, I would think if I reduced the image size at some point and used Bicubic Sharper, it would bring edge detail into the whole image and into unwanted areas.

Thoughts and experiences?

Re: Photoshop's 'Bicubic Sharper': good for you?

"Bicubic Sharper" is just bicubic interpolation with a final sharpening, calculated by Photoshop itself.
    So I don't use it, because I like to have control over my images and in most cases, BS does a not so good job for me.

Comment

Re: Photoshop's 'Bicubic Sharper': good for you?

No, I prefer lanczos, sadly Photoshop is bicubic limited... http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ze-for-web.htm

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• T Paul
        Sharpening
        by T Paul
        There are several ways in Photoshop to sharpen an image. The most commonly used are Unsharp-Mask (USM) and High-Pass filter.

USM Filter Basics: Sharpening increases the contrast at the edges of an image, ie, makes the dark pixels darker and the light pixels lighter. USM has three controls...
        08-12-2004, 01:53 PM
      • Norris
        Sharpening Images
        by Norris
        I recently posted a thread asking for advice on improving contrast within materials in architectural retouching. I was given some good advice and recommended some plug in filters as well as the high pass filter in conjunction with overlay. This was all very helpful and I have implemented some of these...
        03-26-2010, 09:35 AM
      • LookingUp
        Sharpening Photo in Photoshop??
        by LookingUp
        Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any experience using Photoshop cc 2017 and the the filter Shake Reduction? I need to start using it for a restoration job I am just about completing.

Also, do you ever use more than one sharpen filter for different section of one photograph?...
        11-26-2016, 10:05 AM
      • keliot
        Sharpness/Resolution/Resizing/Confusion
        by keliot
        Hello.
        I am getting conflicting and confusing information regarding resizing software being able to increase resolution of the image. If the image is resized up and "new detail" is extracted but then downsampled then the resolution will increase and will this new detail now make an...
        11-18-2016, 10:19 AM
      • hellboy80
        Downsizing image in photoshop without sharpening
        by hellboy80
        What is the best resample method for downsizing picture for web if I want to sharpen the image by my self? Bicubic smoother or Bicubic smooth gradients? Is there a difference between these two options?
        02-29-2016, 08:49 AM
      Working...
      X