Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to start learning retouching portraits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start learning retouching portraits?

I have been mucking around for awhile now in photoshop learning tools and basics. I have reached a point where I would benefit from a strong fundamental sense of how to retouch skin and portraits.

Does anyone know of solid course or person to really learn how to retouch from the ground up? I know there are lots of lessons/tutorial videos available, but I feel like I am jumping around from topic to topic and it leaves me with a feeling of.... incompleteness.

Here is an example of a shoot from yesterday, informal and impromptu, first on is original and second is retouched. While I believe there is a nice improvement, I am left wondering if it could be better?

Thanks,

Doug
    Attached Files

Re: Where to start learning retouching portraits?

Hi: The Dodge and Burn techn. is by far the best techn. on retouching. Although it is time consuming you get great results using it. There are some faster methods of retouching, but you'll never get the results of D and B. If you are serious about retouching with D and B, you have to be patient, because you won't get good results right away, learning or applying it. You can find lots of good info and tutorials right here on RPro about D B. Here is a nice and practical tutorial for starters. Hope it can help. http://digital-makeups.deviantart.co...03123#/d26a2h2

Comment

Hi, i agree with Boneappetit that D&B is great technique, but for the beginners D&B is not right point to start... I'm working on my retouching skills at the moment too.
      I think you should by one of the DVD's. For example http://masteringretouching.com or www.digitalphotoshopretouching.com. It should help a lot.

I've palyed ~10 minutes with your sample photo. Just skin.
      I hope you dont mind.
      Attached Files

Comment

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/
        http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...ractice-3.html
        http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6885600_qzSwN
        http://www.digitalretouch.org/
        Chris Orwig has a retouch series at Lynda.com

Comment

Hi Guys...
          Thanks for the advice.
          Pug I don't mind- my thoughts are that you did a nice job on blending her complexion on her left side. Did you use D&B for this?

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by ylwdog View Post
            Hi Guys...
            Thanks for the advice.
            Pug I don't mind- my thoughts are that you did a nice job on blending her complexion on her left side. Did you use D&B for this?

Doug
            No. I've used clone stamp with lower opacity. D&B is very long process.
            I'm still learning D&B technique.

Comment

Thank you ....

Comment

Retoucher Gry Garness, who is a member of RetouchPro, has an e-book CS4 Digital Retouching For Fashion Beauty and Portrait Photography. You might find this resource helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Boneappetit View Post
                  Here is an example of fast retouching. I hope I can upload the picture, never done this before. It also took me about 10 mnts. This is not D & B. Just a quick healing and surface blur with low opacity.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks... I will look into this more, though trying to avoid spending any money currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Boneappetit View Post
                      Here is an example of fast retouching. I hope I can upload the picture, never done this before. It also took me about 10 mnts. This is not D & B. Just a quick healing and surface blur with low opacity.
                      This looks nice, surface blur does a nice job blending.... thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ylwdog View Post
                        This looks nice, surface blur does a nice job blending.... thanks!
                        You are welcome. But you have to be careful using it with very low opacity in order to keep some of the skin texture. Otherwise it'll look so fake.

Comment

Here is a good tutorial on Pixel Level Dodging and Burning.

Comment