Dodge and Burn on neutral grey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge and Burn on neutral grey

I am wondering what would be the best way to compensate for the saturation change of dodging and burning on a neutral grey layer set to soft light? I only want to effect the luminosity of the image but sometimes I am too lazy to do two separate curves set to luminosity for dodging and burning.

Thanks.

Re: Dodge and Burn on neutral grey

Chris T. has shown in one of his awesome webinars that he uses light and dark skintones on that layer instead of plain black and white....

Comment

A little shift in hue and saturation is natural, so Chris' idea of using actual skin tones to darken/lighten might work best.
      If you really feel that you want to affect just the luminosity, an easy trick is to create a new adjustment layer (doesn't matter which one you choose), set its mode to "Luminosity" and clip your dodge & burn layer to it.

Comment

Thanks for the very helpful tips, Amica and Jonas.

Comment

when doing D/B - add clipping mask above, desaturate and copy mask of dodge and burned places - you gotta do it appart, one clipping mask for dodging and one for burning - it saves a time

you can also forget using neutral gray layer and use curves (lighen+darken) in luminosity mode

Comment