Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved?

I have been searching everywhere to find more information on how this photographer (Markus Schwarze) achieves the look in his street portraits.

Here are a few examples...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5189737197/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5039845496/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5178388322/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5178388248/

There was a thread started on the Flickr Photoshop Support Group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/photosh...7624983773261/), and the original poster started to get very close to the result, but he has not yet shared his results.

Does anybody have any ideas on how this look is achieved??

Thanks in advance,

Josh.
    Last edited by frogstomper; 11-25-2010, 04:59 AM. Reason: Title change

Re: Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved

I looked at a few. I'd like to figure out how his lighting is THAT consistent. I know you can emulate a lot of this in post, but viewing those I think the majority of it was done with nice lighting. They're some of the nicest I've seen though. A lot of it can be done just by a few raw processing adjustments. It's a formula I've seen posted on here a lot lately. Warm skin, processed slightly down on exposure really warm but low in saturation. Background (and corners to a greater degree) burned down and shifted in color slightly to create that pop. The images are really well focused, definitely sharpened. He's boosted the skin contrast a bit, but the backgrounds were also reworked nicely. Site's not in English but I may ask him how he gets such lighting consistency on them.

Comment

Wat makes the images pop is a GOOD mix of color contrast and DOF

ALL of those have warm skintones vs Blue/cyan accessories/details.

ALL of those are REALLY sharp in the subject and really out of focus in the BG

x

Comment

Thanks heaps for the replies.

Any suggestion as to how he would achieve the look. Do you think he selectively boosted the reds/oranges in the face? What sort of sharpening would achieve the look of the face? Do you think there's a slight overall desaturation applied to the whole image?

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomper View Post
          Thanks heaps for the replies.

Any suggestion as to how he would achieve the look. Do you think he selectively boosted the reds/oranges in the face? What sort of sharpening would achieve the look of the face? Do you think there's a slight overall desaturation applied to the whole image?
          I doubt your original images look like his. Not because of a quality assumption but because noone's images look like someone else's images :/

There's no way to know if you need to boost the oranges in your original, maybe they are already REALLY REALLY REALLY orange already and that would create an oversaturation... who knows?...

I (and I think I speak for most people here) need to see your point A from which you want to get to point B
          x

Comment

Originally posted by Godmother View Post
            I doubt your original images look like his. Not because of a quality assumption but because noone's images look like someone else's images :/

x
            Agree 100%

Comment

The background seems to be processed differently than the foreground (the person) - the background has a cooler color tones whereas the person has warmer. Basically, it seems to be Raw exposure blending - one with cooler WB for the background blended with warmer WB for the person. The color tones are finally nailed using Selective Color Adjustment Layer. The selective sharpening is done with (maybe 2 passes) of High Pass.
              Also, the shots were taken by a very fast 50mm glass which gives a very blurred background straight out of camera.

Just my .02$

S

Comment

This is some information I found from the photographer's blog. (Translated by Google)

Equipment
                "Dear reader,
                I have now been asked often what I use as an equipment. Since I do not answer every email with the same text, I write here are a few lines about it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark1
                This camera gives me everything I need as a photographer. She has a small image sensor is not (no crop) a broad ISO range, 12Megapixel and more

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4
                Wow, great focal length, great intensity. All you need to say.

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM
                I use this lens to 80% It is exactly the perspective I have also, therefore, makes it much easier. Especially on the road is, I think, a very nice focal length. Due to the brightness of f/1.4, it is possible to make darkness more great photos also. Examples: CLICK

Canon EF 135mm f / 2 L USM
                This lens is probably the classic portrait lens, which is true. It is possible with this focal length, extremely release the person. The disadvantage is that you must be very far away, which I do not think quite so well. Examples: CLICK

I use in my street portraits no flash light sources. When I dealt with a person, I turn my person to the light. Now if this light from a window, from a lamp post or elsewhere come from, does not matter."

From an interview:
                MS: My workflow is as follows. I copy the RAW from your memory card to my external hard drive. From there, I import the images into the Lightroom catalog. In Lightroom, the RAW "pre-developed". Weißablgeich ie, dye, cut. The RAW data is then exported as a TIFF and further processed in Photoshop. In Photoshop, then the personal characteristics (beard, eyes, hair, etc.) worked out something. It is adjusted by the histogram Levels. What about all. I work on a PC with a 24 "monitor. It could be better but it's enough.
                Last edited by i-inspire; 11-27-2010, 11:53 AM. Reason: added more info

Comment

Originally posted by i-inspire View Post
                  This is some information I found. (Translated by Google)

Equipment
                  "Dear reader,
                  I have now been asked often what I use as an equipment. Since I do not answer every email with the same text, I write here are a few lines about it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark1
                  This camera gives me everything I need as a photographer. She has a small image sensor is not (no crop) a broad ISO range, 12Megapixel and more

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4
                  Wow, great focal length, great intensity. All you need to say.

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM
                  I use this lens to 80% It is exactly the perspective I have also, therefore, makes it much easier. Especially on the road is, I think, a very nice focal length. Due to the brightness of f/1.4, it is possible to make darkness more great photos also. Examples: CLICK

Canon EF 135mm f / 2 L USM
                  This lens is probably the classic portrait lens, which is true. It is possible with this focal length, extremely release the person. The disadvantage is that you must be very far away, which I do not think quite so well. Examples: CLICK

I use in my street portraits no flash light sources. When I dealt with a person, I turn my person to the light. Now if this light from a window, from a lamp post or elsewhere come from, does not matter."

From an interview:
                  MS: My workflow is as follows. I copy the RAW from your memory card to my external hard drive. From there, I import the images into the Lightroom catalog. In Lightroom, the RAW "pre-developed". Weißablgeich ie, dye, cut. The RAW data is then exported as a TIFF and further processed in Photoshop. In Photoshop, then the personal characteristics (beard, eyes, hair, etc.) worked out something. It is adjusted by the histogram Levels. What about all. I work on a PC with a 24 "monitor. It could be better but it's enough.
                  Sounds about right.

Comment

Thanks heaps for all the replies. I'll try all of the suggestions and see what I can come up with.

Comment

Thanks for pointing me to him.
                      I think the use of a FF camera and a good quality lens.
                      He makes the portraits on a short distance with F1.4 or 1.8.
                      No fancy stuff with post processing.
                      See before, after http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread....613333&page=28

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/wefwef
                      He did makes erery day a photo for a book.

Comment

Some of the information is out of date that's listed above, his Flickr images are using a 5D mk II and a wide array of lenses. I don't think that he's achieving all of the background blur with just depth of field, the images all seem to have two zones, perfect focus, and then the background no matter how far away is very evenly blurred. At F/1.4 you'd get different focus over just the depth of the face and it would really change with the depth of the scene, not this kind of binary sharp/unsharp. So there is some of that due to his aperture but a lot of it is selectively blurring (not in all of them).

He's also definitely editing the colors. Maybe not in every image. What exactly he's doing, beats me, probably using all the tools in the book. I don't agree that there isn't any fancy post-processing, that's not true. Just look at his "photowalk" with that one model. Even with a series of her wearing the same clothing, in some the color of her face matches the clothes, in other they are very different hues.

He's compressed what he's doing into "editing the histogram" and it's much more sophisticated than that. His backgrounds tend to have the same palette as the articles of clothing on the random passers by and it's similar to what you see in movies these days where the entire color palette is set by the colorist. Most people will not want to share their techniques once they get to a certain level, often they are simpler than one may think and we all know there's a million approaches. It's very hard to know what each person chooses to do and while you may be able to replicate the look of one photo, if you don't get the method right it won't work for the next photo.

Comment

This is a case in point:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5189737197/sizes/l/

There are only two colors in this image, orange and teal which are contrasting colors and very similar to the current Hollywood colorizing trend. You can do this in a very straightforward way by duplicating the layer, creating a solid color layer for each layer, setting it to clip to the underlying layer and blend mode "Color". Then you have to mask out the top layer.

The trick is in doing the masking... be nice to automate that, and I'm not sure what would be an easy way of doing this in photoshop.

This one image is a dramatic example, but a lot of his images you can see this complimentary color scheme showing up in the backgrounds, buildings are by chance showing a lot of non-grey colors which just happen to compliment hats and scarves on the subjects and that doesn't really happen to our convenience in shooting random people in random locations. More likely it's some substitution going on in Photoshop.

Comment

I will try to shoot at wide open and see if i can get something similar, i can tell that it is done by post processing more, i used many lenses under natural light outdoor to shoot people even wide open and none of them came out with same color effect as these, so i can say it is done with PP more than just camera+lens+light.

Comment

Originally posted by Tareq View Post
                              I will try to shoot at wide open and see if i can get something similar, i can tell that it is done by post processing more, i used many lenses under natural light outdoor to shoot people even wide open and none of them came out with same color effect as these, so i can say it is done with PP more than just camera+lens+light.
                              I already analyzed that portion pretty closely. My comments on lighting involved how the faces were devoid of any really harsh shadows, and the catch lights in the eyes suggested it was natural light rather than fill flash and not too harsh. The post processing that I see is that they did adjust the tones on the clothing and skin to get that look, and the background was obviously darkened to make the subject jump. It's just a matter of comparing brightness. Some of them have a bit of vignetting toward the edges but that could have been from using some of those lenses at very wide apertures and just leaving it uncorrected. With good detail and lighting (the lighting is fairly enveloping around the face and lacks really harsh shadowing) I can tell you the post would be easy. They are pretty but seriously the post work is the easiest part of that.

Comment